Jul 6, 2013, 2:07 PM EST
The headlines out of Spain as they regard Mexican starlet Giovani dos Santos are about Atletico Madrid staying in the hunt. That’s according to Mallorca vice-president Llorenzo Serra Ferrer, who told Goal.com that Madrid’s “second side” is one of six or seven teams still looking at the young attacker, who has not quite lived up to potential in Europe but was among the better pieces last year for Mallorca.
Of course, this blog isn’t for primarily for readers in Spain … so let’s take it a different way. Because the piece also says that the Galaxy is still in this deal.
Remember that an earlier report from a Spanish daily said dos Santos had rejected a $2.5 million annual salary and a $10 million transfer price to play for the Galaxy.
The young Mexican star still makes sense in so many ways for the Galaxy – but only at the right price. Clearly, $10 million isn’t the right price for budget-conscious Major League Soccer. But if the right fee can be arranged, a lineup that features dos Santos creating from wide areas, in turn allowing Landon Donovan to play alongside Robbie Keane, does sound tempting.
Plus, the marketing kick cannot be underestimated, landing a Mexican star to sell to Southern California’s significant Latino demographic. It’s a win-win, but only at the right price. And if you believe this report, that’s still being negotiated.
- Italy head coach Antonio Conte supports Sebastian Giovinco’s move to MLS 7
- USMNT U-20s defeat El Salvador, 2-0, qualify for 2015 U-20 World Cup 1
- Jurgen Klinsmann names 23-man roster for USMNT friendlies vs. Chile, Panama 0
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Ivory Coast, Cameroon in 1-1 draws as Group D up for grabs 0
- Mourinho on loss: “Me and the players must feel ashamed” 0
- FA Cup roundup: Top-three Premier League teams all eliminated at home 2