Jul 6, 2013, 5:58 PM EST
English League One side Crewe Alexandra have been engulfed into a serious legal distraction.
At least three players from the Cheshire club were arrested in a sexual assault investigation and two more are being questioned as witnesses. Names of the players were not released.
A club spokesperson said, “I can confirm some players have been arrested. From what we know there are three arrested and two helping with inquiries over an alleged sexual assault. The details are a bit sketchy so we can’t really comment at the moment.”
Police said five people were arrested in connection with the incident, although it’s assumed from Crewe’s statement that only three of them are players with the club. “At 4.30am [today], police in Redruth received a complaint of sexual assault against a woman aged in her early 20s” said a Cornwall police spokesman. “The incident is alleged to have occurred at a property in Redruth. As a result of inquiries, five men aged 35, 19, 18 and two aged 24 were arrested in connection with the incident.”
The players were down in Cornwall on a preseason, which manager Steve Davis (pictured) called “no holiday” and was meant for training as well as friendly fixtures. “It’s a fantastic place, private and very picturesque” said Davis. “It’s a great place to spend a week.” Davis said the trip would involve two-a-day or even three-a-day training sessions.
Redruth is down on the southwestern tip of England in Cornwall, while Crewe Alexandra are based in Crewe, on the western edge.
- Paul Scholes: Thierry Henry’s legendary goal vs. Man United was my fault 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 2
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 5
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 1
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 2
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 1