Jul 6, 2013, 5:58 PM EDT
English League One side Crewe Alexandra have been engulfed into a serious legal distraction.
At least three players from the Cheshire club were arrested in a sexual assault investigation and two more are being questioned as witnesses. Names of the players were not released.
A club spokesperson said, “I can confirm some players have been arrested. From what we know there are three arrested and two helping with inquiries over an alleged sexual assault. The details are a bit sketchy so we can’t really comment at the moment.”
Police said five people were arrested in connection with the incident, although it’s assumed from Crewe’s statement that only three of them are players with the club. “At 4.30am [today], police in Redruth received a complaint of sexual assault against a woman aged in her early 20s” said a Cornwall police spokesman. “The incident is alleged to have occurred at a property in Redruth. As a result of inquiries, five men aged 35, 19, 18 and two aged 24 were arrested in connection with the incident.”
The players were down in Cornwall on a preseason, which manager Steve Davis (pictured) called “no holiday” and was meant for training as well as friendly fixtures. “It’s a fantastic place, private and very picturesque” said Davis. “It’s a great place to spend a week.” Davis said the trip would involve two-a-day or even three-a-day training sessions.
Redruth is down on the southwestern tip of England in Cornwall, while Crewe Alexandra are based in Crewe, on the western edge.
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad