Antonio Cassano in form during Parma introduction

Jul 7, 2013, 7:11 PM EST

Parma FC Presents New Signing Antonio Cassano Getty Images

At his point in his career, Parma seems like a good fit for Antonio Cassano. While there’s cause to thing he could still contribute at Inter or AC Milan (his last two stops), there’s little reason for either of those times to take on that risk when they’re capable of signing more reliable options. But Parma, a team that finished 10th in Serie A and could use a boost in attack? Acquiring a temperamental player who could get more out of Nicola Sanone and Jonathan Biabiany is worth the risk.

At Cassano’s introduction at the club last Thursday, the club were reminded what they’ve acquired, with the highlights of his public appearance with the club encompassing the confounding, often difficult, mostly entertaining personality that’s seen the only 30-year-old make six stops since leaving Bari in the summer of 2001.

On his arrival a Parma:

I’m not sure exactly where we’ll end up, but I’m sure that things will go extremely well. And it’s World Cup year. I hope that this is the last club I play for. I’m convinced we will achieve great things – this is a challenge that I’m convinced I’ll win. People said I was finished as a player following my time at Madrid, however, I’ve won.

More on his arrival, including some vintage third-person:

I’m not here to put my feet up and have a holiday! The more responsibility I’m given the better I react and the more I give. When I’m made to feel useless, then I create havoc! If I play as Cassano can play, then everyone will benefit.”

On Inter Milan’s new boss, Walter Mazzarri, and his departure from the Nerazzurri:

I’d like to thank Branca, Ausilio and Moratti. But not Mazzarri. Before agreeing to take over at the club he called me and told me that I’d be an automatic starter this season with him. Then, after he’d signed his contract, he said that I would be an automatic choice – but to be on the first bus home!

On his last coach, Andrea Stramaccioni:

Stramaccioni? Oh, I see – you want controversy…! Let’s just say I left a lot of friends (at Inter). I had a fantastic relationship with the players there. But I’ve no comment to make about the coach…

On his career and potential:

So far in my career I’ve only achieved 30-40% of what I could have achieved. I’ve played for great clubs, even Real Madrid. I’m always telling myself: ‘Had you done more, where would you have played? Perhaps the moon, on your own?’

Over the years, Cassano has given fans a number of reasons to turn their back on him, but amid a season to vapid quotes and vacuous insight, Il Gioiello’s blend of honestly and egotism is a nice change. He’s honestly, if self-involved. And that self-involvement, not uncommon to athletes at his level, is part of the reason he’s at Parma:

Making the World Cup squad will be my big motivation. If I play the way I can, everyone will reap the benefits

Latest Posts
  1. Done Deal: Real Madrid sign Argentina U-20 goalkeeper, Juan Cuadrado finalizes Chelsea move

Jan 30, 2015, 11:57 PM EST

Colombia v Uruguay: Round of 16 - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

Transfer deals that have been confirmed over the past day or so.

2. Pep Guardiola on Bayern’s stunning loss to Wolfsburg: ‘They were better at the right moments’

Jan 30, 2015, 10:59 PM EST

Germany Soccer Champions League AP

Bayern Munich head man Pep Guardiola sees where his squad went wrong in its 4-1 defeat against Bundesliga opponent VfL Wolfsburg.

3. Premier League Preview: Manchester United vs. Leceister City

Jan 30, 2015, 9:08 PM EST

Leicester City v Manchester United - Premier League Getty Images

Preview of a previously eye-catching match, Manchester City v. Leicester City, tomorrow morning on NBCSN.

4. Burnley adamant that striker Danny Ings isn’t headed to Liverpool

Jan 30, 2015, 7:00 PM EST

danny_ings

Danny Ings looks poised to stay at Burnley due to a certain transfer rule that would block his departure to Liverpool.

5. US international Joe Gyau has second surgery, could be out for rest of year

Jan 30, 2015, 6:05 PM EST

2012 CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifying - Day 3 Getty Images

United States and Borussia Dortmund II’s Joe Gyau underwent another surgery on his torn meniscus, and he could be done for the season.

6. With Cristiano Ronaldo suspended, Gareth Bale takes center stage against Real Sociedad

Jan 30, 2015, 5:20 PM EST

Real Madrid's Ronaldo celebrates a goal with team mate Bale against Galatasaray during their Champions League soccer match in Istanbul Reuters

Real Madrid midfielder Gareth Bale will replace Cristiano Ronaldo as the current world’s best player will serve a two-match ban coming from last week’s tilt vs. Cordoba.

7. Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Newcastle United

Jan 30, 2015, 4:35 PM EST

Britain Soccer Premier League AP

Preview of Hull City vs. Newcastle on NBCSN this Saturday morning.

8. Juan Agudelo’s return an excellent occurrence for New England Revolution

Jan 30, 2015, 3:45 PM EST

Juan-Agudelo-New-England-Revolution-Getty-Images Getty Images

Juan Agudelo is back with Major League Soccer’s New England Revolution, and amidst a few possible issues, there is no reason his addition cannot help guide Jay Heaps’ side to victorious ways in the East.

9. Premier League transfer needs: What’s been done and what’s left to do by Monday?

Jan 30, 2015, 3:07 PM EST

ACF Fiorentina v SSC Napoli - Serie A Getty Images

Let’s take a gander at how things may’ve changed since JPW checked the needs earlier this month.

10. WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 23

Jan 30, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

PremierLeagueNBC

Where and how to watch every PL game during Week 23, here.

11. Saturday’s Chelsea-Manchester City match expected to break viewing records

Jan 30, 2015, 1:48 PM EST

Chelsea and Man City will square off early in the season. AP

If my math’s right, and it probably isn’t, close to 10 percent of the world’s population will watch Manchester City visit Chelsea on Saturday.

12. Asian Cup final preview: Can Australian hosts deny South Korea’s first title since 1960?

Jan 30, 2015, 1:06 PM EST

FBL-ASIA2015-AUS-KOR Getty Images

The Socceroos have received a single goal from nine other players in a bid to become the first hosts to win the Asian Cup since Japan in 1992.

13. Geoff Cameron predicts Super Bowl XLIX win for his New England Patriots

Jan 30, 2015, 12:52 PM EST

USA Training & Press Conference - 2014 FIFA World Cup Getty Images

Cameron talks about his love for the Pats, growing up in Boston and more in his latest dispatch from England.

14. VIDEO: PST Extra – Costa’s suspension, and how will Frank Lampard be received at Stamford Bridge?

Jan 30, 2015, 12:22 PM EST

Lampard Getty Images

PST’s Joe Prince-Wright and Mike Prindiville sit down to talk Lampard vs. Chelsea in this week’s PST Extra, with a little Diego Costa suspension talk as well.

15. Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester City, Arsenal, Saints to win

Jan 30, 2015, 12:02 PM EST

Pablo Zabaleta Pablo Zabaleta

PST’s Lead Writer and Editor predicts the winners and losers in Week 23.

16. Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Manchester City

Jan 30, 2015, 11:40 AM EST

Chelsea v Manchester City - Premier League Getty Images

There are big ones, and there are bigger ones… and this one’s a doozy.

17. Manchester United signs youngster from Scholes-, Giggs-owned semipro side

Jan 30, 2015, 10:54 AM EST

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/

There’s quite a bit of saccharine in this perfect PR story, but it’s a cool tale nonetheless.

18. San Francisco 49ers brass announced as investors in Sacramento Republic

Jan 30, 2015, 10:19 AM EST

sacbee.com sacbee.com

“We have more 49ers season ticket holders in Sacramento than we do in San Francisco,” the 49ers CEO said

Chelsea v Man City: Lampard the hero?