Jul 7, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
According to reports out of Spain, national team and Real Madrid captain Iker Casillas is about to become a father, with long-time girlfriend Sara Carbonero expecting a child in December or early 2014.
The news broke yesterday via Spanish outlet ‘El Mundo’, the couple having told friends and family last Wednesday. With Casillas recently in Brazil with the Spanish national team for the Confederations Cup, the pair had kept the pregnancy to themselves until news could be spread among their closest friends.
With that news delivered, however, the couple has confirmed that Cabonero is 13 weeks along:
“We’re very happy”, they told ‘El Mundo’ minutes prior to departing for their ‘secret’ holiday spot. Casillas couldn’t hide his happiness: “I’m going to have a baby from La Mancha”, the ‘Los Blancos’ keeper said …
This will be the first child for the couple of four years, one that’s sure to be the focus of excessive tabloid fodder given the fame of his or her parents. Not only is Casillas one of the most famous athletes in Spain, but Carbonero is one of the nation’s best known television presenters and journalists, her coverage of World Cup 2010 receiving extra attention because of her relationship with Casillas.
Carbonero, now 29, became the subject of discussion when English reports intimidated Spain’s opening match loss in South Africa was on account of Casillas being distracted by his girlfriend. While those reports were soon viewed as salacious, the couple were back in the spotlight moments after Spain claimed their first world title, when Carbonero drew the duty of interviewing her boyfriend (among other players) after the match.
Casillas, 32, is coming off his most difficult year as a professional, one capped by a disappointing performance at last month’s Confederations Cup; however, going into a season in which he’ll resume the number one’s job at the Santiago Bernabéu, Casillas now has something more important to look forward to in the coming season.
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit