Jul 7, 2013, 9:19 AM EST
Paul Gascoigne’s troubles continue as the former England midfielder has been arrested after an alleged drunken assault at a railway station.
The former Newcastle, Spurs and Lazio midfielder arrived at the Stevenage train station on Saturday and was allegedly drunk and shouting abuse. While it is still unclear exactly what transpired, at some point he is alleged to have grabbed a security guard by the throat. As his wife, Sheryl, tried to intervene, Gascoigne reportedly grabbbed her arm.
A Hertfordshire Police spokeswoman said: “Police were called to a report of a man allegedly being drunk and disorderly at Stevenage railway station at 10.30pm on Thursday July 4. Officers attended the location and arrested a 46-year-old male on suspicion of common assault and being drunk and disorderly.”
Gazza was then taken into custody but not charged. According to the Daily Mirror, Gascoigne was bailed on Friday after being held overnight in a police cell for 12 hours.
The incident is yet another troubling chapter in Gascoigne’s difficult battle with alcoholism. It is a battle that the 46 year old was believed to be winning after spending more than a month at a clinic in Arizona earlier this year. After leaving rehab, he spoke of how the treatment had saved his life and given him the courage to stay sober.
“It has got to inspire me to never let this happen again. I’ve come through that – death. I was dead,” Gascoigne said. “I thought I was on my way out. I looked like a corpse. I was a total wreck.”
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014