Jul 7, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
Sporting Kansas City midfielder Benny Feilhaber, a bit of a forgotten man lately for Peter Vermes’ team, certainly gave his coach and the Sporting KC fans something to remember. His big strike Sunday against Chicago, the opener at Toyota Park, was a crusher.
Watch the goal here. (I’ll add the actual video to the post once the game ends and the copyrights issues are all zipped up.)
It was reminiscent of the goal that helped shape Feilhaber’s career, the crusher he nailed against Mexico in 2007. Not only was it a great goal on technical merit, it was the game-winner in the Gold Cup final. Oh … did I mention it was against Mexico? Because all U.S. fans love seeing goals against its major regional rival.
And here’s the real kicker: it was in Chicago, too. Not far away from Toyota Park, downtown at Soldier Field.
Clearly, something about the Windy City brings out the big moments in Feilhaber. Now, he just needs a few more of them.
Here’s his famous goal at Soldier Field from back in 2007:
- LIVE – Champions League: Arsenal host Dortmund, Liverpool face Ludogorets 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: Kyle Martino joins to talk Thanksgiving and tie knots 0
- Champions League Wednesday preview: Arsenal can advance, Liverpool need kick-start 1
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 0
- Bob Bradley’s talks with a Swedish club have broken down; Staying at Stabaek? 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0