Jul 8, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
Former Barcelona defender Eric Abidal has signed a one year contract with AS Monaco with an option for a second year.
The 33 year old has been a free agent since his contract at Barcelona expired in June and the Catalan club denied offering him a new deal.
As Pro Soccer Talk hypothesized during his tearful goodbye press conference at Barcelona, Abidal will now return to Monaco, where he began his professional career back in 2000.
Abidal’s career was derailed in March 2011 after being diagnosed with a liver tumor, which required surgery two days later. The Frenchman made a speedy recovery and was back playing for the Blaugrana later that spring, notably starting the 3-2 victory over Manchester United in the Champions League final.
But one year later it was announced that Abidal needed a liver transplant. In April 2012 he underwent the procedure and subsequently spent 12 months sidelined before returning in last April’s match against Real Betis. Abidal went on to make five appearances with Barcelona in the last two months of the season.
Abidal announced he had returned to Monaco on his official Twitter account, writing: “I am very happy to have returned to France and Monaco, where it all began for me.”
Abidal joins Radamel Falcao, James Rodriguez, Ricardo Carvalho, Jeremy Toulalan and Joao Moutinho as notable players who have signed with Monaco this summer.
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014