Jul 8, 2013, 10:06 PM EST
If he doesn’t take this hint, soon he’ll find his locker next to the janitor’s closet. Then his team car will be repossessed. Then his apartment will be replaced by a mobile home that’s driven to the Madrid airport while he and his wife are asleep. This is just a more subtle if completely obvious sign Kaká should move on from Real Madrid.
According to reports out of Spain, Kaká’s eight shirt — the one he’s worn since his arrival from AC Milan four years ago — has been put aside for a new, 23-year-old midfielder. Asier Illarramendi may have been a part of Spain’s European U-21 title-winners this summer and a regular contributor to a Real Sociedad team that claimed Spain’s last Champions League spot this season, but he’s no former Balon d’Or winner. He’s doesn’t have a Champions League medal, nor has he won a World Cup, and while shirt numbers may be the only thing less meaningless than formal transfer requests, some athletes can become attached to them. Whether Kaká is attached to his or not, having the eight shirt taken from him could be seen as a slap in the face.
Another way of putting it, according to Marca:
… Real has decided on a number for Asier Illarramendi, who is on the brink of becoming a ‘Los Blancos’ player.
Illarramendi donned the number 8 last season with Real Sociedad, and Real Madrid hopes that the European Under-21 champion can continue to wear the same number next season, provided that Ricardo Kaká’s departure from the club is confirmed. This is yet more evidence that Kaká does not form part of Carlo Ancelotti’s plans for the future.
So perhaps Kaká won’t be changing next to the janitor after all, but the note about Ancelotti’s particularly interesting. The new Real Madrid boss make Kaká the focal point of Milan’s last Champions League-winning side, so you’d assume there’s some loyalty there. But loyalty can only go so far, particularly in a team that has Mesut Ozil, Luka Modric, and the recently-signed Isco.
On one level, you’d hope Kaká would get a more appreciative departure, but he’s had opportunities to leave during the last two years. Instead, he’s elected to stay, and while he still has two years on his deal, the club may be ready to move on, whether he wants to or not.
Dec 13, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
NBC News’ Ben Popken gets the lowdown on the new World Cup ball. Good news… a Jabulani, it is not:
Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Unless a player lifts his shirt over his head, you may never see Intel’s contribution to Barcelona’s uniforms.
Where They Stand: Europa League’s 32 knockout round teams (and their potential effect on UEFA’s coefficients)
Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Italy and Ukraine could see big boosts to their coefficients, with each federation placing four teams in Europa’s knockout rounds.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
How close is PRP to blood doping? Close enough to get the Premier League’s attention.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
D.C. United upgraded half their defense on Thursday. But what are they getting for the money?
Dec 12, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
We saw this coming. Portland traded up on Thursday to snare the former Zip.
Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018
Dec 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Klinsmann’s signed up for another cycle, the U.S. hoping to extend its evolution beyond Brazil.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
This marks the first time a Bundesliga club has played in the league’s summer showcase.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Two big questions this weekend: 1) Can Spurs stop Luis Suarez? and
2) Does City’s midfield rival that of Arsenal?
Dec 12, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Young says, but “for me, the referees have made decisions and that’s it.”
Dec 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Would Moyes really loan Zaha to a competitor like Everton or Newcastle?
Dec 12, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
When looking back at the biggest UK Twitter “surges” of 2013 there is one topic that dominates the landscape: footy.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research shows less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 0
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park