Jul 8, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Chicago Fire streaking striker Mike Magee would not let a weekend come and go without yet another strike.
He went without a goal in the Fire’s mid-week win over San Jose, although Magee did arrange Chris Rolfe’s 84th minute game-winning goal (which you can watch here if you like.) But the recently relocated LA Galaxy forward did supply his team’s only goal Sunday in a loss to Sporting Kansas City. (Watch that one down below.)
So the numbers look like this:
- He remains tied for the league lead in goals with 11. Montreal’s Marco di Vaio had a goal over the weekend to keep pace.
- Magee has five goals and two assists in six matches since joining the Fire. That’s why he was just named MLS Player of the Month for June.
- The man that has recently achieved “nickname status” around Toyota Park, now being referred to as Magic Mike, has eight goals in nine matches for Chicago including U.S. Open Cup contests. The Fire remain alive in the Open Cup, now in the 100-year-old tournament’s semifinals.
On Sunday’s ESPN broadcast, analyst Taylor Twellman introduced this element into the ongoing Magee narrative: he suggested that Magee was Major League Soccer’s unquestioned Most Valuable Player if Chicago makes the playoffs.
Chicago is currently eighth – and they are going to struggle to climb much higher if they cannot get better in the back. Bakary Soumare and Austin Berry aren’t cutting it.
Then again, Columbus doesn’t look to have the horsepower at present either, now missing Eddie Gaven and Brazilian center back Glauber for the season. Houston has forgotten how to score and even Montreal is showing too many signs lately of slippage.
So … as long as Magee stays anywhere close to this form – it’s unrealistic to expect this current rate of about a goal a game all season, but anything close is still fantastic – there’s always a chance. And if so, at least one man who knows Major League Soccer as well as anyone says the MVP race has been decided!
Here is No. 11 on his ongoing season of goal-scoring wonder:
Apr 16, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
It took six-and-a-half weeks, but last year’s Supporters’ Shield winners have their first victory of the season.
Apr 16, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Three matches the shoot up the title, Champions League races:
Apr 16, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
One location is the clear favor for No. 24, but down to one slot, the competition could pick up.
Apr 16, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
Like his players, City’s boss has plenty of questions to answer after Wednesday’s disappointment.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT
If Atlanta, Miami aren’t good sports towns, it may not matter. The doubts critics have cast on the league’s Southeast excursion may be irrelevant.
Apr 16, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT
Top four hopes over for Everton?
Apr 16, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT
Real win Copa del Rey as Barcelona’s bad run continues:
Apr 16, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
One more spot in MLS’s planned expansion is gone, with Atlanta set to begin play in 2017.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
Two late goals gave Sunderland a lead, one City pulled back just before full-time.
Apr 16, 2014, 4:51 PM EDT
Eagles soar to safety, but Everton’s Champions League dreams are in ruins:
Apr 16, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
Two of Serie A’s most productive scorers may not be at this summer’s World Cup. Llorente wonders why.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
Which Liverpool player picked up the Player of the Week accolade?
Apr 16, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Both sides look to cash in on matches in hand at the Etihad.
Apr 16, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
Can Tim Howard and the Toffees win their eighth-straight game? Watch live online, right here:
Apr 16, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Having MLS teams share their home with NFL sides could be a smart move ahead of the next wave of expansion:
Apr 16, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Find out who made the PL Team of the Week, right here:
Apr 16, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Two PL matches take place on Wednesday, with both set to impact the top and bottom of the standings:
Apr 16, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
Are you ready to get ‘Duff-ed?’
Apr 16, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Watch all 10 PL games across 10 different channels on final day of the season. All the details, right here:
Apr 16, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
PlayStation, mafia-style fights, Gattuso and not feeling pressure… welcome to the extremely cool world of Pirlo:
- Henry, Sam goals see New York break into the win column 0
- Real Madrid beat Barcelona to win Copa del Rey, as Bale’s brilliance seals it 1
- It’s official: Atlanta gets Major League Soccer’s 22nd franchise 1
- Manchester City 2-2 Sunderland: Two Wickham goals, late Nasri equalizer leave sides even (video) 3
- Everton 2-3 Crystal Palace: Toffees’ top four hopes take huge hit 6
- Ahead of Atlanta’s expected MLS entry, are NFL stadium shares the way to go? 12