Jul 8, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Chicago Fire streaking striker Mike Magee would not let a weekend come and go without yet another strike.
He went without a goal in the Fire’s mid-week win over San Jose, although Magee did arrange Chris Rolfe’s 84th minute game-winning goal (which you can watch here if you like.) But the recently relocated LA Galaxy forward did supply his team’s only goal Sunday in a loss to Sporting Kansas City. (Watch that one down below.)
So the numbers look like this:
- He remains tied for the league lead in goals with 11. Montreal’s Marco di Vaio had a goal over the weekend to keep pace.
- Magee has five goals and two assists in six matches since joining the Fire. That’s why he was just named MLS Player of the Month for June.
- The man that has recently achieved “nickname status” around Toyota Park, now being referred to as Magic Mike, has eight goals in nine matches for Chicago including U.S. Open Cup contests. The Fire remain alive in the Open Cup, now in the 100-year-old tournament’s semifinals.
On Sunday’s ESPN broadcast, analyst Taylor Twellman introduced this element into the ongoing Magee narrative: he suggested that Magee was Major League Soccer’s unquestioned Most Valuable Player if Chicago makes the playoffs.
Chicago is currently eighth – and they are going to struggle to climb much higher if they cannot get better in the back. Bakary Soumare and Austin Berry aren’t cutting it.
Then again, Columbus doesn’t look to have the horsepower at present either, now missing Eddie Gaven and Brazilian center back Glauber for the season. Houston has forgotten how to score and even Montreal is showing too many signs lately of slippage.
So … as long as Magee stays anywhere close to this form – it’s unrealistic to expect this current rate of about a goal a game all season, but anything close is still fantastic – there’s always a chance. And if so, at least one man who knows Major League Soccer as well as anyone says the MVP race has been decided!
Here is No. 11 on his ongoing season of goal-scoring wonder:
Sep 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
Take a look at every transfer made in the Premier League on a wild and crazy Deadline Day.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:32 PM EDT
The former Tottenham man spent the end of last season on loan at Goodison Park, and now the move has been made permanent.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
The winger was flown into Leicester on the owner’s helicopter as a last minute signing for the Foxes.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:55 PM EDT
Let’s hope these guys match up in the UEFA Champions League, where time can be kept on the field.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor gives each team a grade after a busy summer in the transfer market.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:09 PM EDT
West Bromwich Albion chairman Jeremy Peace is speaking out on the Saido Berahino saga at the Hawthorns.
Sep 1, 2015, 1:37 PM EDT
Frustrated at Fulham, American teen Emerson Hyndman looks set to stay at Craven Cottage through the final year of his contract.
Sep 1, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
Hector earned his first six caps for the Reggae Boyz and participated in all three of Jamaica’s matches at the Copa America in Chile.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
The captain of Algeria, a veteran of Colombia and a Belgian U-21 player are heading to the Premier League side at Vicarage Road.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:35 PM EDT
Young striker is not happy at all as Baggies continue to block Spurs’ advances.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:16 PM EDT
French forward becomes most expensive teenager in world soccer history.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:03 PM EDT
Yedlin joins American prospect Lynden Gooch on the Premier League squad, where Jozy Altidore spent a tumultuous season-and-a-half.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
The Hammers are splashing the cash on the final day of the window.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
Crystal Palace feels ready to move on from their longtime striker, with Connor Wickham having joined Palace this summer.
Sep 1, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT
That’s right, there’s a loophole to keep this madness going for an extra two hours. Think of it as extra-time.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
Potters striker interesting a host of PL clubs on Deadline Day.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Senegal international arrives at the Bridge to bolster Chelsea’s backline.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Toffees seal deal for Argentine international center back.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:36 AM EDT
Dutch center signs five-year deal at Saints.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Bilic adds three key players on Deadline Day.
- Complete list of every transfer in the Premier League on Deadline Day 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 0
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 4
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0
- How did David de Gea’s move to Real Madrid collapse? Here’s a few answers 3