Jul 8, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
Chicago Fire streaking striker Mike Magee would not let a weekend come and go without yet another strike.
He went without a goal in the Fire’s mid-week win over San Jose, although Magee did arrange Chris Rolfe’s 84th minute game-winning goal (which you can watch here if you like.) But the recently relocated LA Galaxy forward did supply his team’s only goal Sunday in a loss to Sporting Kansas City. (Watch that one down below.)
So the numbers look like this:
- He remains tied for the league lead in goals with 11. Montreal’s Marco di Vaio had a goal over the weekend to keep pace.
- Magee has five goals and two assists in six matches since joining the Fire. That’s why he was just named MLS Player of the Month for June.
- The man that has recently achieved “nickname status” around Toyota Park, now being referred to as Magic Mike, has eight goals in nine matches for Chicago including U.S. Open Cup contests. The Fire remain alive in the Open Cup, now in the 100-year-old tournament’s semifinals.
On Sunday’s ESPN broadcast, analyst Taylor Twellman introduced this element into the ongoing Magee narrative: he suggested that Magee was Major League Soccer’s unquestioned Most Valuable Player if Chicago makes the playoffs.
Chicago is currently eighth – and they are going to struggle to climb much higher if they cannot get better in the back. Bakary Soumare and Austin Berry aren’t cutting it.
Then again, Columbus doesn’t look to have the horsepower at present either, now missing Eddie Gaven and Brazilian center back Glauber for the season. Houston has forgotten how to score and even Montreal is showing too many signs lately of slippage.
So … as long as Magee stays anywhere close to this form – it’s unrealistic to expect this current rate of about a goal a game all season, but anything close is still fantastic – there’s always a chance. And if so, at least one man who knows Major League Soccer as well as anyone says the MVP race has been decided!
Here is No. 11 on his ongoing season of goal-scoring wonder:
Jul 31, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
Thierry Henry’s second half equalizer takes earns a point at Rio Tinto.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:43 PM EDT
The Revs’ eight-game losing streak ends thanks to another strong night from Lee Nguyen.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
The Red fall nine points back of second place United in the Eastern Conference.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
24-year-old defender loaned out for the seventh time.
Ugly scenes in Northern Ireland as Mexican U-19 player attempts to kick opponent’s head during Milk Cup brawl
Jul 30, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Game is eventually cut short after a yet unnamed player aimed at the head of a fallen opponent.
Jul 30, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT
Atlético’s interest could develop into Chicharito’s best option.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT
Nick De Santis will stay with the Impact, albeit in an administrative role.
Jul 30, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
Everton’s leading scorer returns to Goodison on a permanent basis.
Jul 30, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
With immediate effect, U.S.’s women’s league will pause mid-half if when it’s too hot.
Jul 30, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
Liverpool roll into town and people freak out! Watch this incredible reaction to Stevie G signing autographs.
Jul 30, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Reports from Texas state Jurgen Klinsmann’s side are playing Colombia in September.
Jul 30, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Union grab Algerian goalkeeper Mbolhi, throw MacMath’s future in doubt.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
One of the most influential men in world soccer passed away on Wednesday at the age of 82.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:07 PM EDT
After success at the 2014 World Cup, vanishing spray is coming to the PL.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Shaw: “I didn’t come into United thinking it’s going to be much harder and that’s something I made a mistake on.”
Jul 30, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
Ronaldo flexing the abs as he is set to appear in the largest-ever Men’s Health front cover campaign.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
United make it three wins from three on their U.S. tour. Watch the highlights from Van Gaal’s men in action.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Will United splash the cash to sign Vidal in central midfield?
Jul 30, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Lukaku set to sign for Everton from Chelsea.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
United to splash the cash? Lukaku on his way out of Chelsea? All the latest gossip, right here.
- Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández 3
- Romelu Lukaku completes permanent, $47 million move to Everton 7
- Report: US to play friendly vs. Colombia in San Antonio 1
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Cuadrado to Manchester United, Lukaku to Everton 0
- Steven Gerrard endured “worst three months” of his life after Liverpool, England heartbreak 3
- Premier League on tour, Tuesday roundup: United beat Inter in penalties 1