Jul 9, 2013, 9:34 PM EST
Everyone connected the dots in May when the New York Yankees and Manchester City partnered to join Major League Soccer, establishing a second team for New York.
The dot connecting came in the venue site selection process. Previously, MLS was bullish on a 25,000-seat stadium inside Flushing Meadow-Corona Park in Queens.
The problem is that any Flushing Meadow project could not happen without the blessing of the Mets, which would need to partner in the project’s parking element. That would mean Mets ownership assisting a Yankees project, something not far from End Times stuff.
So the project was in trouble the day New York City FC was born.
Today, a city councilman and Queens Borough President candidate said the $340 million project was officially kaput. The Daily News quoted Leroy Comrie as saying: “The location doesn’t work. There was no real benefit for Queens residents to site it in that location.”
Comrie, who also chairs the council’s Land Use Committee, then begins talking up the land near Yankees Stadium. It should be noted, however, that Comrie has been an outspoken critic of the Flushing Meadows stadium project from the outset.
Today’s Daily News story also has more quotes from Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr., who was happy to help push the Flushing Meadows project further over the ledge; he has tried to steer MLS and commissioner Don Garber toward his area since the May announcement.
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit