Jul 9, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
Thank goodness for the soccer stat wonks among U.S. supporters. Otherwise, we might not know that Landon Donovan is even closer to becoming the one and only member of U.S. Soccer’s 50-50 club – the only man to score 50 goals and record 50 assists.
Donovan already has topped the milepost in goals, nailing Nos. 50 and 51 in last week’s win over Guatemala.
U.S. Soccer believed he was two assists shy of 50. But officials from the country’s governing body on soccer just issued a release saying an assist from 2004 had been overlooked.
Presumably, the goals will be a flyin’ in tonight at Jeld-Wen Field, where the United States is a heavy favorite against tiny Belize. (Read nothing into the recent, comically absurd quotes from Football Federation of Belize president Ruperto, who called on his country’s national team to “not only beat the United States, but to humiliate the United States.” He didn’t make himself look to wise on that one.)
And presumably, Donovan will be in the starting lineup, just as he was for Friday’s win over Guatemala. All of which means this could happen tonight.
Donovan is also creeping up on Major League Soccer’s all-time scoring mark, and has a chance to become the league’s all-timer best in goals and assists. If he did, there’s a chance he would be the only player ever to accomplish such a thing – or, he would be the only one for a long, long time to hold both records.
- Van Gaal has interest in Ronaldo, doesn’t think Real Madrid will sell 2
- Americans Abroad preview: Guzan looks to keep Villa rolling 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 5 1
- Euro 2020 semis, final to be played at Wembley Stadium 1
- Sloppy USWNT 4-0 win over Mexico adds fuel to turf conversation fire 0
- MLS’s new logo: Reddit (yes, Reddit) may have a way to solve the league’s new problem 18