Jul 9, 2013, 8:19 AM EDT
José Mourinho is set to switch his attentions to Aston Villa’s Christian Benteke. The Belgian international handed in a transfer request at Villa Park yesterday and Villa have said that any club meeting their evaluation will be able to talk to the 22-year-old striker. Chelsea looked to have missed out on Cavani, so Benteke is their new target. Benteke scored 19 goals in his first season in the EPL, the shining light in Villa’s troubled campaign. But can he make the step up and do the business at Chelsea? Why wouldn’t Mourinho just go with Belgian forward Romelu Lukaku? He dazzled at West Brom on loan last season and looks ready to step up. I think Lukaku would be the better option here.
Stewart Downing could be on his way to Upton Park, as the Liverpool winger edges closer to the exit door at Anfield. Reds boss Brendan Rodgers publicly stated that Downing was for sale last December… but nobody has come in for him. Until now. Sam Allardyce obviously believes he can revive Downing’s career, as the 27-year-old looks to recapture the form that made him a wing-wizard at Aston Villa and Middlesbrough. The England international needs a fresh start and maybe the Hammers can provide that. Downing’s crosses onto Carroll’s head? Can the Liverpool flops reunited in East London to wreck havoc? Big Sam has a simple, yet effective plan. $15 million should see Downing in Claret and Blue next season.
David Luiz is subject of a $45 million bid from Barcelona, but Chelsea will not sell him to their Champions League rivals for that price. The Brazilian defender has been the name on everyone’s lips as to who will leave first under the new Mourinho era, but the 26-year-old flourished at the Confederations Cup, seeing his transfer price soar even higher. Chelsea have John Terry, Gary Cahill and Branislav Ivanovic as their three other main center backs. Is Luiz’ laid-back attitude surplus to requirements under Mourinho’s regime? I thought Luiz would have been the ‘Special One’s’ ideal type of character. Let’s see how this one plays out.
Julian Draxler has left the door wide open for a move to Arsenal, Manchester City or Chelsea. But not right now. The 19-year-old German midfielder is set to stay at Schalke for at least one more season, but revealed clubs in England and Spain are top of his list if a move abroad crops up. Draxler has already appeared several times for the German national team and shone during his first two seasons in the Bundesliga, he recently became the youngest Schalke player to rack up 50 league appearances. The race for next summer’s target has already begun. How crazy is that? One thing is for sure, Draxler seems worth it. Can the youngster keep progressing to alert more clubs over the coming 12-months?
Everton are considering a move for Paris Saint-Germain midfielder Clement Chantome. The 25-year-old Frenchman looks set to be on the fringes at Parc des Princes after the French Champions look set to bring in Edinson Cavani. Chantome could be a replacement for Maraoune Fellaini, as the Toffees are increasingly worried about losing their Belgian midfield sensation. Chantome is a player that can operate on the wing or in a central role and his quick passing and tricky movement in front of the oppositions backline is exceptional. However with Laurent Blanc spending big this summer and PSG set to capture other attacking talents, Chantome would be a good fit and possibly a cut-price buy for the Merseyside club. However replacing Fellaini, if he does leave, is a monumental task.
- Preview: Atlético Madrid back on track before Champions League visit from goal-shy Milan 0
- Preview: Bayern Munich on guard ahead of Arsenal’s Champions League visit 0
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 2
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers
- Martino and Moyes Trapped in Can't-Win Situations
- CCL Watch: Cruz Azul Suffer First Loss
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad