Jul 9, 2013, 8:20 PM EST
Itty bitty Martinique beat Canada right away in this year’s Gold Cup – and that wasn’t even the biggest upset on opening day!
I suppose it’s up for debate as the more shocking, but Mexico’s loss to Panama later that evening was certainly a stunning turn, too.
Panama was the first team to beat the United States in Gold Cup group play; that happened just two summers back. So, clearly, upsets can and do happen in CONCACAF’s regional tournament.
“We saw the results [Sunday] and that’s a good wake up call,” Landon Donovan said. “We know we can’t be complacent. When you play in a group stage where there is only three games, every game matters immensely. We’re very aware of that, and we’ll be ready to play.”
U.S. players say they won’t be complacent tonight. From the latest episode of Studio 90 from U.S. Soccer, several talked about tonight’s contest at Jeld-Wen Field.
- Report: Marco Reus is out for 2014 with torn ankle ligament 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Liverpool, Spurs take to road to face fellow strugglers Palace, Hull 1
- Premier League roundup: Wins for Manchester United, Chelsea, Burnley (video) 0
- WATCH: Messi’s teammates repeatedly toss him in air after breaking La Liga record 1
- Marquee win proves van Gaal’s Manchester United on the right track 0
- Three things we learned from Manchester United’s big win at Arsenal 0