Jul 9, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT
Good morning, America.
Today the Gold Cup adventure begins, as the USMNT take on Central American minnows Belize in their Group C opener up at JELD-WEN Field.
And BTW, the Timbers Army and American Outlaws grouping together should create one incredible atmosphere. The Outlaws are recruiting, get involved here.
But it is time to take a trip down memory lane. Can you recall the last time the USA played in the Rose City? Not many of you can, I bet.
Well the answer is September 7, 1997. The US beat Costa Rica 1-0 in a crucial 1998 World Cup qualifier, with Tab Ramos blasting home the winner to send the Portland faithful mad.
Bob Ley said of Portland’s Civic Stadium (now known and loved as JELD-WEN Field) “this might be the best atmosphere ever for a US national team game.”
Can the Timbers Army and the American Outlaws better that this evening? No doubt they’ll give it all they’ve got.
So watch this video from the US soccer history vaults to reminisce about Marcelo Balboa, Claudio Reyna and Steve Sampson. This is my gift to you as you wake up this morning, with dreams of Gold Cup success still fresh in your mind.
- VIDEO: “I Was There” visits LA Blues and LA Red Army for Chelsea’s win over United 0
- VIDEO: Bayern Munich’s Thomas Muller grabs megaphone, leads fans’ celebrations 3
- Bayern Munich 6-1 (7-4, agg.) FC Porto: Bayern obliterate Porto to reach UCL semifinal 2
- Barcelona 2-0 (5-1, agg.) Paris Saint-Germain: Neymar brace eases Barca into Champions League semifinals 0
- FOLLOW LIVE – Champions League: Bayern Munich, PSG aim to overturn 3-1 deficits to Barcelona, FC Porto 0
- Chris Smalling signs new Manchester United contract through 2019 0