Jul 9, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT
Good morning, America.
Today the Gold Cup adventure begins, as the USMNT take on Central American minnows Belize in their Group C opener up at JELD-WEN Field.
And BTW, the Timbers Army and American Outlaws grouping together should create one incredible atmosphere. The Outlaws are recruiting, get involved here.
But it is time to take a trip down memory lane. Can you recall the last time the USA played in the Rose City? Not many of you can, I bet.
Well the answer is September 7, 1997. The US beat Costa Rica 1-0 in a crucial 1998 World Cup qualifier, with Tab Ramos blasting home the winner to send the Portland faithful mad.
Bob Ley said of Portland’s Civic Stadium (now known and loved as JELD-WEN Field) “this might be the best atmosphere ever for a US national team game.”
Can the Timbers Army and the American Outlaws better that this evening? No doubt they’ll give it all they’ve got.
So watch this video from the US soccer history vaults to reminisce about Marcelo Balboa, Claudio Reyna and Steve Sampson. This is my gift to you as you wake up this morning, with dreams of Gold Cup success still fresh in your mind.
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 0
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear