Jul 9, 2013, 10:44 AM EDT
Good morning, America.
Today the Gold Cup adventure begins, as the USMNT take on Central American minnows Belize in their Group C opener up at JELD-WEN Field.
And BTW, the Timbers Army and American Outlaws grouping together should create one incredible atmosphere. The Outlaws are recruiting, get involved here.
But it is time to take a trip down memory lane. Can you recall the last time the USA played in the Rose City? Not many of you can, I bet.
Well the answer is September 7, 1997. The US beat Costa Rica 1-0 in a crucial 1998 World Cup qualifier, with Tab Ramos blasting home the winner to send the Portland faithful mad.
Bob Ley said of Portland’s Civic Stadium (now known and loved as JELD-WEN Field) “this might be the best atmosphere ever for a US national team game.”
Can the Timbers Army and the American Outlaws better that this evening? No doubt they’ll give it all they’ve got.
So watch this video from the US soccer history vaults to reminisce about Marcelo Balboa, Claudio Reyna and Steve Sampson. This is my gift to you as you wake up this morning, with dreams of Gold Cup success still fresh in your mind.
- Watch Live: Chicago Fire at San Jose Earthquakes (Lineups and Discuss) 0
- Liverpool 0-1 AS Roma: Marco Borriello winner gives Italians victory at Fenway 0
- Houston Dynamo land USMNT legend DaMarcus Beasley 1
- Watch Live: Liverpool vs. AS Roma (Lineups and Discuss) 1
- USMNT prospect Gedion Zelalem on Arsenal’s roster for Red Bulls match 4
- Stripping Russia of World Cup 2018? Germany makes the argument 9