Jul 11, 2013, 6:40 PM EST
A statement released by CONCACAF sent to the masses by Rob Harris of the Associated Press confirms they have positively identified the unnamed man who approached the Belize players about fixing the game against the United States.
The statement thanks Woodrow West and Ian Gaynair (pictured, left) individually for not only turning down the undoubtedly tempting offer but reporting the incident directly to officials.
It is incredibly commendable that these players – who had to hold fundraisers to simply make the trip – not only turned down the offer for a hefty sum of money to fix a match which was by all means hopeless in the first place, but then turned down a subsequent offer to keep quiet.
The statement says that CONCACAF has partnered with INTERPOL since the beginning of the 2013 Gold Cup to prevent match fixing, and the international crime fighting organization no doubt had a part to play in this individual investigation as well.
CONCACAF said they held held three seminars with participating countries specifically outlining the dangers of match-fixing and how to prevent it, and obviously they worked in this situation.
Here’s to hoping the organizations come down hard on the man or group that attempted to damage the sport, and three more cheers for Belize for resisting riches to protect the beautiful game.
- Arsenal could be own worst enemy as title challenge sees tension rise 0
- Arsenal 1-1 Everton: Late breakthroughs cancel as Deulofeu denies Arsenal all 3 points 2
- Real Salt Lake manager Jason Kreis sounds like a man about to leave 3
- Premier League Sunday Preview: Arsenal host Everton, Aston Villa travel to Fulham 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (42)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (30)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)