Jul 11, 2013, 3:42 PM EST
File this one under the “you still haven’t seen it all” category.
The agent of Sporting Lisbon teen Bruma has claimed fans attempted to kidnap his client to prevent him from completing a move to Stamford Bridge.
According to what Catio Balde told Portuguese national radio Radio Antena 1, members of the supporters group “Juve Leo” attempted to snatch the winger from his hotel room in Portugal.
The kicker? Balde claims the kidnapping was at the request of his current club.
Balde claims the police are on the case, and that there will be charges pressed, calling it a “very serious and unpleasant matter.” He also told media that “at the moment, Bruma’s mind is not on Sporting” which backs up claims that he will not be attending preseason training.
Finally, Balde confirmed the 18-year-old has at least two offers for his services. “I was in charge of presenting offers to Sporting. There are offers from foreign clubs, from Chelsea and from Galatasaray, worth €8million that could reach €12million” said the agent. Bruma was a member of Portugal’s U-20 side that lost to Ghana in the World Cup round of 16 last week.
At this point it’s still just the world of a player’s agent. Still, you can imagine this will make its way to FIFA soon, and if the club was indeed behind the failed snatching, the organization may not take it easy on the Portugese giants.
Even if they did manage to grab the kid, how did they think this would end? A very puzzling matter indeed.
- Where They Stand: Who’s in, who’s out after Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League action 0
- A dreaded World Cup draw having arrived, Jurgen Klinsmann’s transformative efforts are about to pay off 0
- Manchester City comeback ends Bayern Munich’s record run; defending champions still win Group D 0
- Update: Storm in Istanbul sees Galatasaray-Juventus abandoned in UEFA Champions League 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit