Jul 11, 2013, 9:33 PM EST
Liverpool has held firm in the fight for Luis Suarez, but with the world-class striker making his intentions to move away from Anfield clear, they may be showing the first signs of conceding his departure.
When Arsenal made a bid for the Uruguayan just the other day, the Reds immediately said no. However, The Mirror is reporting that Liverpool have now put a £40 million ($60.7 million) price tag on him, and told Arsenal to come and get it.
While it’s probably still unlikely Suarez will end up at the Emirates – Wenger’s allergic reaction to spending coupled with Suarez’s desire to leave England combine to make it a head-scratcher at best – the fact Liverpool have possibly given anyone a price is a major step.
While they may have simply communicated to Arsenal, an intentional leak of the story is a good way to get the word out that he is indeed for sale, and this is the price.
The Reds are also waiting on Suarez to hand in an official transfer request. Despite all the talking he’s done in the media, he has not made that step yet, and Brendan Rogers and company are hoping to use a formal request to pin his departure solely on the player.
The 26-year-old has stated many times his desire to leave the Premier League, mainly due to his feeling that media vilification is affecting his family’s daily life in a negative way.
- In less than five months, Diego Costa has become Premier League villain No. 1 2
- Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool: Ivanovic ensures Blues trip to Cup final after testy second leg 0
- New York, Montreal complete huge trade; Kljestan free to join Red Bulls 7
- Report: Manchester City to play New York City in Yankee Stadium friendly 2
- Iker Casillas to MLS? Real Madrid legend: “I would like to play in the United States” 0
- Chile vs. USA preview: Who’s here to stay as USMNT kicks off 2015? 0