Jul 11, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
Jozy Altidore will be part of a vastly improved Sunderland side, as the Black Cats have secured another piece to the puzzle for the upcoming season.
Juventus president Antonio Conte has admitted to reporters that winger Emanuele Giaccherini will be sold to Sunderland for somewhere around €8 million ($10.5 million).
The 28-year-old had a disappointing campaign at Juventus Stadium last season, but his form swung upwards while featuring in Italy’s Confederations Cup side.
“For Juventus, it is necessary to sell at this moment. He will do well at Sunderland” said Conte. “I’m happy for Giaccherini because Sunderland is a good chance for him, but I’m sad for me. I’m not happy with the sale of Giaccherini but in times of crisis when you buy you must also make sacrifices.”
Giaccherini has spent his entire career in the Italian leagues, beginning his career at Cesena in 2004, although out on loan for three years before breaking into the first team side. Juventus purchased him in 2011 for just over €7 million ($9.2 million).
Juventus ran away with the Serie A title last season, but struggled to compete with other top-level clubs in the Champions League, winning their group but bowing out meekly to eventual champs Bayern 4-0 on aggregate in the quarterfinals.
Conte admitted earlier Thursday that the club was indeed lagging behind other soccer giants such as Bayern and Barcelona, thus the club’s desire to make some changes.
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear