Jul 11, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
Jozy Altidore will be part of a vastly improved Sunderland side, as the Black Cats have secured another piece to the puzzle for the upcoming season.
Juventus president Antonio Conte has admitted to reporters that winger Emanuele Giaccherini will be sold to Sunderland for somewhere around €8 million ($10.5 million).
The 28-year-old had a disappointing campaign at Juventus Stadium last season, but his form swung upwards while featuring in Italy’s Confederations Cup side.
“For Juventus, it is necessary to sell at this moment. He will do well at Sunderland” said Conte. “I’m happy for Giaccherini because Sunderland is a good chance for him, but I’m sad for me. I’m not happy with the sale of Giaccherini but in times of crisis when you buy you must also make sacrifices.”
Giaccherini has spent his entire career in the Italian leagues, beginning his career at Cesena in 2004, although out on loan for three years before breaking into the first team side. Juventus purchased him in 2011 for just over €7 million ($9.2 million).
Juventus ran away with the Serie A title last season, but struggled to compete with other top-level clubs in the Champions League, winning their group but bowing out meekly to eventual champs Bayern 4-0 on aggregate in the quarterfinals.
Conte admitted earlier Thursday that the club was indeed lagging behind other soccer giants such as Bayern and Barcelona, thus the club’s desire to make some changes.
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Watch Live: Sporting Kansas City at Seattle Sounders (Lineups and discussion) 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- FIFA Fines Argentine Clubs for Fake Transfers
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 3 Hopes and One Fear for Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keep Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls