Jul 11, 2013, 3:03 PM EST
Manchester United confirmed via Twitter that Wayne Rooney was sent home from their tour of the Far East with a hamstring injury that will sideline him for a month.
Let the speculation begin.
With rumors abound of Rooney’s departure from Old Trafford, this will only fuel the fire, whether it’s legitimate or not.
According to United, the injury was suffered in training Thursday, their very first training session of the tournament in Bangkok, Thailand.
Their first real important fixture is August 11 against Wigan in the Community Shield, before opening Premier League play August 17 at Swansea City.
Oddly enough, David Moyes stressed just the day before that the 27-year-old was in “the best shape [the club] has seen him in for a long time” and that he was going to get the “best Wayne Rooney I possibly can.”
Apparently now the best Wayne Rooney is one sent back to England, where rumors can continue to spread about his departure.
- LIVE – Champions League: Manchester City vs. Bayern Munich, Chelsea to Schalke 0
- Report: Sony will not renew sponsorship with FIFA over future World Cup shroud 3
- Wenger says Jack Wilshere has a “big ankle sprain” 2
- Premier League Playback: Should Liverpool fire Brendan Rodgers? 3
- Aston Villa 1-1 Southampton: Nathaniel Clyne secures point for Saints 2
- Tesho Akindele brings FC Dallas its first MLS Rookie of the Year award 0