Jul 11, 2013, 3:03 PM EST
Manchester United confirmed via Twitter that Wayne Rooney was sent home from their tour of the Far East with a hamstring injury that will sideline him for a month.
Let the speculation begin.
With rumors abound of Rooney’s departure from Old Trafford, this will only fuel the fire, whether it’s legitimate or not.
According to United, the injury was suffered in training Thursday, their very first training session of the tournament in Bangkok, Thailand.
Their first real important fixture is August 11 against Wigan in the Community Shield, before opening Premier League play August 17 at Swansea City.
Oddly enough, David Moyes stressed just the day before that the 27-year-old was in “the best shape [the club] has seen him in for a long time” and that he was going to get the “best Wayne Rooney I possibly can.”
Apparently now the best Wayne Rooney is one sent back to England, where rumors can continue to spread about his departure.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 5
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park