Jul 12, 2013, 7:15 AM EDT
With Wayne Rooney returning to the UK after injuring his hamstring during the first few days of Manchester United’s preseason tour to the Far East, speculation is rife that a $38 million move to Chelsea is in the cards. Rooney is set to miss the next month through injury, but many believe he is back in England to finalize a move away from Old Trafford. José Mourinho is a big admirer of the England international and Rooney wants a fresh challenge away from United. Do we have another Fernando Torres situation on our hands here? Or can Rooney bring European glory to Stamford Bridge? I’d bet on the latter.
It seems as if Bayern Munich are close to sealing a deal for Barcelona’s talented youngster Thiago Alcantara. Former Barca boss Pep Guardiola is keen to bring the Spanish international to the Bundesliga and Thiago, 22, looks set to snub Manchester United and join Bayern. Guardiola is adamant that Thiago is needed in Munich, but where will he play? Obviously Pep has big plans for him but competition for places will be extremely high unless the Spaniard clears out some of the attackers at the Allianz Arena. Thiago and Mario Götze in midfield running into attack would be quite the duo, another season of dominance from Bayern beckons.
With Manchester City set to miss out on long-term target Edinson Cavani, they could bring Paris Saint-Germain striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic to the Etihad instead. It it understood that the 31-year-old Swedish striker is upset after Carlo Ancelotti left PSG and City are able to pay his massive wages so they’ve jumped to the front of the queue to sign the mercurial forward. City certainly need another striker and Ibrahimovic has scored goals by the bucket full wherever he has played. But can Manuel Pellegrini handled his ego?
Stevan Jovetic is still being chased by both Manchester City, Arsenal and Chelsea, as the Montenegrin international’s future at Fiorentina is still in doubt. But the 22-year-old is edging closer to joining City, as they’re favorites to seal a $45 million deal for the exciting attacker. Is Jovetic worth that much? For a City team that struggled to score last season, he definitely is. His flowing long locks of hair often buzz in and around the penalty box, creating numerous chances and scoring quite a few himself. Chelsea may look elsewhere, as Jovetic seems to be heading to Manchester and join a fresh crop of attacking midfielders that will reignite City’s EPL title aspirations.
Arsenal may lose out on Brazilian international Julio Cesar, as the Queens Park Rangers ‘keeper is in advanced talks with Serie A outfit Napoli. Goalkeeper Cesar, 33, recently said he wanted to stay in London but the Gunners may be out of the race to sign him. Cesar shone at QPR last season, but with the London club relegated to the Championship he was always going to move on. Impressing for hosts Brazil in the Confederations Cup, Cesar could be heading to Naples instead of AS Roma and Arsenal. The Brazilian would’ve been first-choice at the Emirates and Arsene Wenger won’t be happy to lose a target many thought was in the bag. Unless Arsenal can persuade him to stay in England, their goalkeeper struggles look set to continue this season.
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to jump off the U.S. Soccer radar 6
- Stuart Holden out for 6-9 months, as serious injury hits U.S. international once again 3
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s failed UEFA Champions League campaign 1
- Battling Arsenal bow out, as Bayern Munich reach UEFA Champions League quarters after 1-1 draw (3-1, agg.) 1
- Two from Diego Costa help Atlético Madrid cruise past Milan in Champions League, 4-1 (5-1, agg.) 0
- Sporting KC's Television Network Expands
- American Investment Firm Buying Up Man United Stock
- Earthquakes vs. Toluca: CONCACAF Champions League
- San Jose Earthquakes Acquire Benfica Midfielder Yannick Djalo
- Revs Waive DelPiccolo; Roster Stands at 27
- Inter President Denies Holding Talks with Chicharito
- Nearly Perfect Start for Galaxy, Result Aside
- USWNT Lose to Denmark 5-3 in Algarve Cup
- Real Salt Lake's Nick Rimando Named MLS Player of the Week
- Will Johnson Signs New Multi-Year Contract With Portland Timbers