Jul 12, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT
José Luis Real’s team was expecting to have Carlos Bocanegra available tonight when Chivas USA visits PPL Park, but thanks to a delay with the U.S. star’s International Transfer Certificate, Bocanegra is sitting out tonight’s festivities in Philadelphia.
Before Bocanegra can return to MLS, U.S. Soccer must receive an ITC from the Scottish Football Association, where Bocanegra was registered with Rangers FC. Players can only be registered to one team (and association) at a time, and until U.S. Soccer receives the documentation clearing the player to be registered with his new team, Bocanegra is out.
The league’s official website confirmed the defender’s ITC is late arriving, pushing the defender’s potential return back to July 17:
Carlos Bocanegra will not make his debut for Chivas USA on Friday night as initially expected, thanks to a hangup in the paperwork needed to bring him back to Major League Soccer.
… the International Transfer Certificate for Chivas USA’s recent prized signing did not arrive in time for him to suit up for the Goats when they take on the Philadelphia Union at PPL Park …
While it seems unlikely Bocanegra will miss Chivas’s match with Toronto FC, on Friday his team was without somebody who could have helped the Goats’ recent if minor rebound. Instead, Josue Soto, Walter Vilchez, Mario de Luna, and Marco Delgado were tasked with stopping the Jack McInerney-less Union.
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 LA Galaxy 0
- Premier, Champions League quotas leave Mourinho desperate to sell Torres 0
- Van Gaal, Manchester United ready to move on from Fellaini, Kagawa 0
- Radamel Falcao on track to return at weekend’s Emirates Cup 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Portland’s Diego Valeri 0
- The great Southampton exodus continues. Why is this happening? 6