Jul 12, 2013, 9:55 AM EST
When the MLS All-Star Game rolls into Kansas City on July 31, a few more superstars will join the cast.
But they don’t play soccer.
Earlier today it was announced that award winning hip-hop artist Macklemore and his producer Ryan Lewis will put on a free show for MLS fans on July 29, as the week-long festivities in KC have a headline act.
The Power and Light district will host the event as soccer fans will be treated to the music from one of Seattle’s most famous exports. But will Macklemore be sporting a Seattle Sounders jersey in KC? We will have to wait and see.
With AS Roma and Michael Bradley also rolling into town for the game, it will be a massive weekend at Sporting Park and in Kansas City. Admission to the concert is free, but a ticket is required. If you will be lucky enough to be in KC in the lead up to the All-Star Game, here is the ticket info.
Macklemore is a huge name and a major coup for Major League Soccer, as the razzmatazz of the MLS All-Star Game has certainly been cranked up a few notches this year.
And with Portland announced as the host city for the 2014 ASG, how are they going to better the occassion in KC? I’m sure Timbers owner Merritt Paulson has already got plenty of plans up his sleeve.
In years gone by the importance and profile of the ASG has certainly increased, with the last two events in New York and Philadelphia proving a huge success.
Remember the scenes (reminisce in the video below) at PPL Park last season for the 2012 ASG? Can Macklemore upstage fireworks along the banks of the Delaware River?
- Chad Barrett’s 94th minute goal gives Seattle Sounders 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City 0
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- Barrett Nails Last Minute Goal for Seattle 1-0 Victory
- Three Things: Chelsea 4-0 Spurs
- FIFA Fines Argentine Clubs for Fake Transfers
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 3 Hopes and One Fear for Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City