Jul 12, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT
When the MLS All-Star Game rolls into Kansas City on July 31, a few more superstars will join the cast.
But they don’t play soccer.
Earlier today it was announced that award winning hip-hop artist Macklemore and his producer Ryan Lewis will put on a free show for MLS fans on July 29, as the week-long festivities in KC have a headline act.
The Power and Light district will host the event as soccer fans will be treated to the music from one of Seattle’s most famous exports. But will Macklemore be sporting a Seattle Sounders jersey in KC? We will have to wait and see.
With AS Roma and Michael Bradley also rolling into town for the game, it will be a massive weekend at Sporting Park and in Kansas City. Admission to the concert is free, but a ticket is required. If you will be lucky enough to be in KC in the lead up to the All-Star Game, here is the ticket info.
Macklemore is a huge name and a major coup for Major League Soccer, as the razzmatazz of the MLS All-Star Game has certainly been cranked up a few notches this year.
And with Portland announced as the host city for the 2014 ASG, how are they going to better the occassion in KC? I’m sure Timbers owner Merritt Paulson has already got plenty of plans up his sleeve.
In years gone by the importance and profile of the ASG has certainly increased, with the last two events in New York and Philadelphia proving a huge success.
Remember the scenes (reminisce in the video below) at PPL Park last season for the 2012 ASG? Can Macklemore upstage fireworks along the banks of the Delaware River?
- Complete list of every transfer in the Premier League on Deadline Day 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 4
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0
- How did David de Gea’s move to Real Madrid collapse? Here’s a few answers 3