Pep Guardiola goes off on Sandro Rosell, Barcelona

Jul 12, 2013, 4:30 PM EST

FBL-GER-BUNDESLIGA-BAYERN-MUNICH-TRAINING Getty Images

Tiffs between clubs and their former coaches aren’t rare, but there’s something particularly depressing about what’s transpiring between Barcelona and Pep Guardiola. For all the complaints of arrogance disgruntled rivals would lob during Guardiola’s coaching tenure at the Nou Camp, there was a certain class the former captain brought to the sidelines, be it in his demeanor, reverence for his club and job, or respect for his opponents and the game. While he wasn’t perfect, during his time in charge of the Blaugrana, Guardiola was probably more perfect than most.

Unfortunately, Guardiola is in an escalating war of words with his former club, the new Bayern Munich boss taking exception to hints he ignored current Barça head coach Tito Vilanova when his former assistant was being treated for cancer last year in New York. Now Guardiola, who spent muc of the last year living in New York, is speaking out:

“I will never forget that they used Tito’s illness to cause me damage, because it’s a lie that I never saw him in New York.

“I saw him once, and the reason I didn’t see him more often was because it wasn’t possible, and that wasn’t my fault. To say that I don’t wish the best of someone who was my colleague for so many years is very bad taste …”

Given their reportedly long, close relationship, any attempt to use Guardiola and Vilanova’s friendship against the Barça icon would be a particularly low blow. Perhaps something has happened behind the scenes to compromise that friendship, though if it did, that would be Vilanova’s place to bring it into the public space. As Guardiola sees it, Barcelona president Sandro Rosell and the club’s board have crossed the line:

“If any of the things I’ve said is not true, come out and rebut it, but it has to be them [Rosell and the board], not intermediaries or Barcelona messengers. Them.”

From Bayern Munich’s pre-season camp in Italy, Guardiola offered an easy solution: Leave him alone.

“I told them [the president and his directors] I was going 6,000km away and asked them to leave me in peace, but they haven’t kept their word … I did my time [at Barcelona] then decided to leave.”

“Did my time.” Maybe something is lost (or added) in the translation, but that’s the type of terminology you use around prison sentences. It’s not the feeling you normally have for a place you spent nearly 30 years of your life.

Latest Posts
  1. Europa League roundup: Spurs, Celtic advance; Inter Milan, Fiorentina clinch top spots

Nov 27, 2014, 9:26 PM EST

The big Europa League sides have begun to advance to the knockout round, with a few more very close to joining them.

2. Everton win Europa League group, qualify for knockout round

Nov 27, 2014, 4:09 PM EST

Toffees seal spot in Europa League knockout rounds after terrific away day display.

3. Five investigated, including three FIFA execs, in World Cup corruption probe

Nov 27, 2014, 3:17 PM EST

64th FIFA Congress 64th FIFA Congress

Three FIFA ExCo members and German legend latest to be under the spotlight.

4. Pele moved to “special care” unit as treatment continues

Nov 27, 2014, 2:05 PM EST

Edson Arantes do Nascimento, Pele AP

Brazilian legend hospitalized for second time this month.

5. English FA charge Dave Whelan after anti-Semitic, racist comments

Nov 27, 2014, 1:15 PM EST

Barnsley v Wigan Athletic - Sky Bet Championship Getty Images

Whelan charged by FA over accusations of anti-Semitic, racist remarks.

6. VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League

Nov 27, 2014, 10:55 AM EST

Hull City v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League Getty Images

Can Spurs and Everton make a top four charge? Will Saints stun Man City?

7. Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months

Nov 27, 2014, 9:13 AM EST

Wilshere AP

Wilshere has surgery on left ankle, as young midfielder set for another lengthy spell on the sidelines.

8. Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more

Nov 27, 2014, 8:51 AM EST

Bradley, Stabaek

Bradley opens up about his first season at Stabaek, his future in Europe and much more.

9. USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up

Nov 27, 2014, 7:28 AM EST

Ireland US Soccer AP

Klinsmann’s men drop further in FIFA’s latest rankings.

10. Arsene Wenger hails his team’s attitude, Sanogo and the path forward

Nov 26, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

FBL-EUR-C1-ARSENAL-ANDERLECHT-TRAINING Getty Images

Wenger was in good spirits following his side’s victory that put an end to his two-match losing skid.

11. Ross Barkley Divegate: Why Martinez defends him and what it means

Nov 26, 2014, 9:50 PM EST

Everton v West Ham United - Premier League Getty Images

Yes, Barkley dove and yes, (news flash) Martinez is overly protective of his players.

12. Cesc Fabregas claims he’s playing the best football of his life

Nov 26, 2014, 8:32 PM EST

Let's talk about Cesc... Getty Images

“I feel that right now I am playing some of the best football of my career,” Fabregas said.

13. Emile Heskey offers himself to Leicester City to help scoring woes

Nov 26, 2014, 7:38 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-DISCRIMINATION-HESKEY-SIN

“It goes without saying, I’d love to come,” Heskey told BBC Radio Leicester.

14. Franck Ribery lashes out at “politics” behind the Ballon d’Or

Nov 26, 2014, 6:44 PM EST

gareth_bale_franck_ribery AP

Poor Franck. All fired up and not even on the 23-man shortlist.

15. Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through

Nov 26, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

Can Liverpool build off this draw in Sofia? Their manager Brendan Rodgers has cause for optimism.

16. Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere

Nov 26, 2014, 5:21 PM EST

All the action from the penultimate games in Groups A-D, as two teams booked their spot in the last 16.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday