Jul 13, 2013, 8:28 AM EDT
During the 2012-13 Premier League Season, Stoke City looked to be wrestling the title of “America’s Premier League” team away from Craven Cottage.
The balances could tip back to Fulham now that Shahid Khan, Pakistani by birth but owner of the very-American Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League, has assumed control of the little West London team on the Thames.
Geoff Cameron, Maurice Edu and Brek Shea remain at the Britannia for Stoke City, while Fulham is fresh out of Americans. (On the senior team at least. Don’t forget, Emerson Hyndman, grandson of FC Dallas manager Schellas Hyndman, is a valued midfielder in Fulham’s youth development system.)
But Stoke has some catching up in order to match the historic rate of import of American who have come and gone at Craven Cottage. The quick rundown:
- Marcus Hahnemann, 1999-02: Coming over from the Colorado Rapids, Hahnemann played just two matches in goal for Fulham. But the time there did help create a career in England, one spent mostly in the land’s second tier.
- Eddie Lewis, 2000-02: Playing time was similarly sparse for the midfielder, although he did see action a little more frequently over the first two seasons, before Fulham gained promotion into England’s top tier.
- Carlos Bocanegra, 2004-2008: Playing at center back and left back, Bocanegra was the first American to truly establish himself as a Craven Cottage fixture, playing 116 games there over four seasons.
- Brian McBride, 2004-2008: The same time Bocanegra was patrolling the back, Brian McBride was ensconcing himself as a legend up front. So beloved was the man who hit 33 times for Fulham over four seasons that they later named a lounge at the ground after him.
- Kasey Keller, 2007-2008: Unlike the others, Keller was an established figure in European soccer when he arrived into West London. The longtime U.S. international took over as starter from the injured Antti Niemi, but was soon injured himself and eventually spent just one season at Fulham.
- Clint Dempsey, 2007 – 2012: Clearly the star of the “Fulhamerica” show. “Deuce” punctuated five highly successful seasons at Fulham with that amazing campaign of 2011-12, after which he finished fourth in FWA Footballer of the Year balloting behind Robin van Persie, Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes.
- Eddie Johnson, 2008-2009: Johnson never quite caught on, playing out his original contract on a series of loans spells to three other clubs.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:42 PM EDT
Manchester Police confirmed a man was arrested after flying a drone over the match that entertained 45,000 people.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Aron Johannsson bagged a penalty in his return from groin surgery, while Juan Agudelo continues to search for a new club.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Adel Taarabt says the harsh words from manager Harry Redknapp are not only untrue but damaging as a professional.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
The New York Cosmos completed a massive signing, beating out a few of his former clubs to nab the Spanish legend as a player and coach.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT
Despite a solid confirmation from Croatia, the friendly will reportedly not be happening.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:56 PM EDT
Manchester United came from behind twice but still must settle for a disappointing result away from home.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT
19-year-old Lazio striker Keita Balde Diao somehow walked away from what looks to be a major accident. His Lamborghini, however, didn’t.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Unruly fans will cost Wales and Galatasary as UEFA continues to crack down on off-the-pitch incidents.
Oct 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
The yearly tournament organizes five-a-side matches for people that are homeless or living in extreme poverty.
Oct 20, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Liverpool, Everton and Swansea City are just a few of the Premier League clubs reportedly looking to sign the Marseille winger.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT
With transfer rumors swirling, the Arsenal forward made it clear that he is #AlwaysAGunner.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
Amidst the Ebola outbreak, South Africa has ruled out hosting the continent’s premier tournament should Morocco back out.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Sad news out of India as a young player died after injuring his spinal cord during a celebration.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Ahmed Musa stirred the pot ahead of his club’s Champions League clash this week, calling out City’s form.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Watch the Baggies take on Manchester United today, live at 3:00 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT
The Chelsea backup is teaching his replacement how to stay safe from head injuries, which have affected both keepers.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor takes an in-depth look at the PL during Week 8.
Oct 20, 2014, 7:43 AM EDT
In a game that saw both sides reduced to ten men, the Crystal Palace manager believes the referee could have done better.
Oct 19, 2014, 11:38 PM EDT
The Dutch midfielder scored off two ridiculous strikes to lead Galatasary over rivals Fenerbahce.
Oct 19, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
The Sounders came from 2-0 down to steal a draw in Los Angeles at Landon Donovan’s final regular season home game.
- New York Cosmos reportedly sign Spanish legend Raul, will play and coach 0
- Report: It will be Colombia – not Croatia – for USMNT in November 0
- WATCH: West Brom 2-2 Manchester United: Blind earns draw for Red Devils on road 2
- Premier League Playback: Liverpool can’t get rid of Luis Suarez hangover 0
- MUST SEE: Wesley Sneijder scores two wonder goals 2
- Where does Sergio Aguero rank with the world’s best? 0