Jul 13, 2013, 10:27 AM EST
If U.S. international Brad Guzan falls into bad form or has to recover his position following an injury at Aston Villa this year, the challenge apparently will not come from once-venerable Shay Given.
The Daily Mail has reported that the longtime Ireland international is on his way out of Villa Park, now bound for Doncaster.
If true, it’s quite a fall for the 37-year-old goalkeeper who has more than 100 caps for Ireland. A year ago, Given (pictured right) was Aston Villa’s starter, looking over his shoulder at the emerging American but still clearly the No. 1 at Villa Park.
Now he may be the man in the goal for a club just promoted into the English Championship, the country’s second tier.
Given became a highly respected figure in English soccer during long years of service at Newcastle. He spent two seasons at Manchester City (just before the coming off the high times around the Etihad) before signing on with Aston Villa.
Given’s 2011-12 season at Villa was unusually shaky by the standards he had long established; Given was frequently considered among the top 5 at his position in the Premier League. His performances at the 2012 European Championship did nothing to quash the fears that his best years were gone. Guzan needed little time at the beginning of the 2012-13 season to pull ahead and become the trusted starter at Villa Park.
This move also reaffirms Villa’s faith in Guzan, also the current backup to Tim Howard in U.S. goal.
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Tottenham 0
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season