Jul 13, 2013, 2:04 PM EST
Today comes word that Major League Soccer’s Disciplinary Committee has suspended Montreal Impact midfielder Sanna Nyassi one match for diving. (The video is below.)
He collapsed to the Stade Saputo turf in Montreal last week in the 78th minute against Chivas USA. The resulting penalty kick was the home team’s equalizer in a 1-1 draw – which may otherwise have been a valuable and highly beneficial 1-0 win for the visitors from Chivas USA, who have had so very few wins to celebrate in 2013.
While the suspension (to be served today during the Impact’s visit to New Jersey to meet the New York Red Bulls) may provide some vindication for the Goats and specifically for defender Mario De Luna, it sure doesn’t help in Chivas’ desperate reach for points.
And the back story (well, the “forward” back story in this case) makes Saturday’s announcement from the league office that much worse. Because Friday night in Philadelphia, the Goats were definitely victimized again!
We talked about it before, in a PST post that went up earlier this morning, about how Chivas USA was absolutely done wrong last night by one of the worst moments of MLS refereeing this year.
Nyassi’s dive was harder to spot, so we’re not running up conspiracy flags or anything insidious like that; that may have been an officiating boo-boo, but it’s certainly an understandable one. But it is fair to point out that Chivas USA has gotten a raw deal in two consecutive matches – and in two consecutive road matches, no less, where points were there for the taking.
Here is the dive for which Nyassi was suspended:
- David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami 0
- DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution 0
- Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS 2
- How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash? 1
- Chelsea’s Diego Costa to contest FA charge of violent conduct 1
- Freddy Adu heading back to MLS? Reports claim two teams interested 10