Jul 13, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
Today comes word that Major League Soccer’s Disciplinary Committee has suspended Montreal Impact midfielder Sanna Nyassi one match for diving. (The video is below.)
He collapsed to the Stade Saputo turf in Montreal last week in the 78th minute against Chivas USA. The resulting penalty kick was the home team’s equalizer in a 1-1 draw – which may otherwise have been a valuable and highly beneficial 1-0 win for the visitors from Chivas USA, who have had so very few wins to celebrate in 2013.
While the suspension (to be served today during the Impact’s visit to New Jersey to meet the New York Red Bulls) may provide some vindication for the Goats and specifically for defender Mario De Luna, it sure doesn’t help in Chivas’ desperate reach for points.
And the back story (well, the “forward” back story in this case) makes Saturday’s announcement from the league office that much worse. Because Friday night in Philadelphia, the Goats were definitely victimized again!
We talked about it before, in a PST post that went up earlier this morning, about how Chivas USA was absolutely done wrong last night by one of the worst moments of MLS refereeing this year.
Nyassi’s dive was harder to spot, so we’re not running up conspiracy flags or anything insidious like that; that may have been an officiating boo-boo, but it’s certainly an understandable one. But it is fair to point out that Chivas USA has gotten a raw deal in two consecutive matches – and in two consecutive road matches, no less, where points were there for the taking.
Here is the dive for which Nyassi was suspended:
- Three things we learned from Arsenal vs. Chelsea 0
- Arsenal 0-0 Chelsea: Organized Blues defending effectively ends title race 0
- Who were the biggest snubs in PFA’s Premier League Team of the Season selections? 3
- PFA Team of the Year announced: 6 Blues lead the way 0
- VIDEO: Premier League Sunday preview – Arsenal vs. Chelsea, Everton vs. Manchester United 0
- MLS roundup: 20 goals in 4 games Saturday night — WATCH THEM ALL! 1