Jul 13, 2013, 2:04 PM EST
Today comes word that Major League Soccer’s Disciplinary Committee has suspended Montreal Impact midfielder Sanna Nyassi one match for diving. (The video is below.)
He collapsed to the Stade Saputo turf in Montreal last week in the 78th minute against Chivas USA. The resulting penalty kick was the home team’s equalizer in a 1-1 draw – which may otherwise have been a valuable and highly beneficial 1-0 win for the visitors from Chivas USA, who have had so very few wins to celebrate in 2013.
While the suspension (to be served today during the Impact’s visit to New Jersey to meet the New York Red Bulls) may provide some vindication for the Goats and specifically for defender Mario De Luna, it sure doesn’t help in Chivas’ desperate reach for points.
And the back story (well, the “forward” back story in this case) makes Saturday’s announcement from the league office that much worse. Because Friday night in Philadelphia, the Goats were definitely victimized again!
We talked about it before, in a PST post that went up earlier this morning, about how Chivas USA was absolutely done wrong last night by one of the worst moments of MLS refereeing this year.
Nyassi’s dive was harder to spot, so we’re not running up conspiracy flags or anything insidious like that; that may have been an officiating boo-boo, but it’s certainly an understandable one. But it is fair to point out that Chivas USA has gotten a raw deal in two consecutive matches – and in two consecutive road matches, no less, where points were there for the taking.
Here is the dive for which Nyassi was suspended:
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 4
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''