Jul 13, 2013, 12:33 PM EDT
Soccer gets its place in ESPN The Magazine’s fifth annual Body Issue, which just arrived to newsstands on Friday.
The Boston Breakers and the U.S. international forward Sydney Leroux is among 20 athletes featured.
In an accompanying Q & A from ESPN’s Morty Ain, Leroux talks about reaching the point in her life where she’s OK with doing something like this – and these cannot be easy choices for any athlete, male or female, who generally appear as naked as the day they were born.
The 23-year-old attacker also talks about growing up playing baseball, her aggressive nature (Is it really true that she would two-foot tackle her grandmother? Surely not!), her body art, the feeling of having that gold medal draped around her neck last summer in London a love of yoga and ab workouts and a disdain for veggies.
Oh, and scars. She loves having em:
I like that I have scars. I have scars all over my legs. I don’t ever try to hide them; they remind me of how hard I play. I like that I look tough. It’s something to celebrate, and it’s my job.
- International Champions Cup: Schedule revealed as Chelsea, Manchester United take on MLS sides 4
- After Bournemouth all but seal Premier League place, here’s some other minnows to make the top-flight 1
- Manchester United’s Javier Hernandez calls Real Madrid “best team in the world” 1
- Premier League Preview: Hull City vs. Liverpool 1
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 8: Columbus Crew SC’s Ethan Finlay 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 8 0