Jul 14, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
No problems for Arsene Wenger’s side as Arsenal smashed the Indonesian Dream Team 7-0 today in Jakarta.
It was a group effort from the Gunners, with six different players making the score sheet, including Theo Walcott, Olivier Giroud, Lukas Podolski and a group of talented youngsters.
Walcott got matters started for Arsenal, comfortably slotting home in the 19th minute after Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain cruised through the right side of the box and cut back a thoughtful pass.
Goals were tough to come by in the first half but everything changed in the second stanza as Wenger brought in a slew of substitutions. English striker Chuba Akpom doubled the lead in the 54th minute, calmly finishing from eight yards out after some good work by 18 year old German winger, Serge Gnabry (pictured).
In the 71st minute, Bacary Sagna’s cross found Giroud in the box to make the score 3-0 before the right-back found his country-mate again two minutes later, with Giroud engineering a nice turn and shot to grab his brace.
In the 83rd minute, Tomas Rosicky set up Podolski to strike from 20 yards out and two minutes later it was Rosicky again, this time with a deep cross to 19 year old Swede, Kris Olsson, who’s effort found its way inside the far post.
The match was capped off on a goal by 20 year old German, Thomas Eisfeld, who followed up a Giroud nod-down with an effort that smacked off the cross-bar and into the back of the net.
Aaron Ramsey and Rosicky were impressive in midfield but it was the youngsters, and in particular Gnabry, who lit up the crowd of 88,000 at the Gelora Bung Karno Stadium.
Next stop for the Gunners is a clash with Vietnam this Wednesday.
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 8: Columbus Crew SC’s Ethan Finlay 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 8 0
- Not even allowed an appeal: CONCACAF confirms Bush suspension for Champions League final 2
- Premier League Playback: Chelsea brilliant, not boring, as title inches closer 0
- MLS official squashes rumor of emergency intra-MLS goalkeeper loan for CONCACAF Champions League final 11
- VIDEO: Premier League Player of the Week — Round 34 0