Jul 14, 2013, 8:06 AM EST
Carrow Road is looking more and more like a place Premier League clubs will look to avoid in the 2013-14 season.
The Canaries have confirmed putting pen-to-paper on a four year deal with Dutch international Leroy Fer for an undisclosed fee.
The holding midfielder comes to Norwich City from Eredivisie side, FC Twente, where he notched 15 goals and 7 assists in 52 appearances since his transfer from Feyenoord in fall 2011.
Fer, a box-to-box midfielder who is equally adept at breaking up attacks on the defensive side as he is finishing them going forward, turned heads earlier this summer with his string of bold performances in Holland’s semi-final run in the European Under-21 Championship.
Nicknamed ‘The Bouncer,’ Fer came off the bench to score the match-winner against Germany in stunning fashion, thundering home a 90th minute header to hand Oranje a 3-2 victory. Two days later he added an insurance goal in Holland’s 5-1 pummelling of Russia.
This past January a £8.6 million ($13m) agreement between Everton and Fer looked done-and-dusted before a medical exam revealed a knee injury that was enough to scupper the deal. The Toffees continued to monitor Fer’s situation and were once again rumored to be in the market for the Dutchman, but Norwich came to the table with conviction and now they have their man.
The 23 year old joins Javier Garrido, Ricky Van Wolfswinkel, Nathan Redmond, Martin Olsson and Carlo Nash as manager Chris Hughton’s signings this summer.
Fer has all the attributes to make an immediate impact at Carrow Road and will provide the Canaries current defensive midfield starter, Bradley Johnson, with plenty of competition.
- Tim Howard on his stunning display vs. Arsenal, Everton’s good form, tough draw for USA 0
- David Moyes takes “complete responsibility” for Manchester United’s shocking start 2
- Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery to battle it out for Ballon d’Or 1
- Kind draws could give Messi, Ronaldo head start on World Cup 2014′s Golden Boot 2
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)