Jul 14, 2013, 11:14 AM EST
Queens Park Rangers goalkeeper Julio Cesar looks set for a loan move to Serie A side Napoli following discussions between the two clubs.
The 33 year old Brazilian joined the West London club last summer and enjoyed modest success in his first Premier League season but was unable to save the R’s from relegation.
The displays were strong enough to convince Brazil manager Luis Felipe Scolari to call Cesar back into his team this past year and the former Inter Milan man was sensational during the Seleção’s Confederations Cup triumph.
Cesar’s improved form piqued a number of clubs’ interest, with Arsenal widely tipped as his new destination. But with the Napoli deal close to being locked down, it appears that, for now at least, the Gunners will march on with Wojciech Szczęsny between the pipes.
The Napoli deal will mark Cesar’s return to a league where he starred for seven years, racking up 220 appearances for the Nerazzurri. Whether Cesar will stay in Italy beyond this season is unclear as the terms of the loan deal have yet to be revealed.
For now we can only assume that QPR have chosen a loan over a permanent transfer so Cesar can be recalled to Loftus Road in the event they earn immediate promotion back to the Premier League. With Cesar out, the door opens for Robert Green to stake his claim as R’s top net-minder.
- Premier League Preview: Aston Villa vs. Southampton 0
- Inside Look, MLS Cup Playoffs: How Revs, Galaxy built very different one-goal leads 0
- Recap: LA Galaxy grab 1-0 lead over Seattle Sounders in Western Conference Championship 1
- Recap: New England Revolution snatch 2-1 lead, two away goals from New York Red Bulls 6
- Video: Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool needs to “become a team” 1