Jul 14, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
We’ve all seen it before, the goal from distance that catches a keeper off his line.
Most of the time, however, such audacious attempts are the result of a lofty chip from somewhere in or around half-field. But when Red Bull Salzburg met Schalke this past week, Red Bull center-back Martin Hinteregger had other ideas.
The 20 year old – who had previously never scored at senior level for club or country – collected a 76th minute pass from goalkeeper Alexander Walke, skipped past two defenders and hammered the ball 71 yards into the back of Schalke’s goal. Quite a crack.
And how did Schalke goalkeeper Timo Hildebrand feel about the feat?
It was a “stupid goal,” the 34 year said.
- West Ham United 0-1 Chelsea: Hazard’s header enough for league leaders 0
- Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester United: Krul gaffe spoils Jonas return 1
- Swansea’s Bafetimbi Gomis stretchered off the pitch after appearing to collapse 1
- Watch Live: West Ham United vs. Chelsea (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Watch Live: Newcastle United vs. Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- WATCH: Premier League live online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 28 0