Jul 14, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
We’ve all seen it before, the goal from distance that catches a keeper off his line.
Most of the time, however, such audacious attempts are the result of a lofty chip from somewhere in or around half-field. But when Red Bull Salzburg met Schalke this past week, Red Bull center-back Martin Hinteregger had other ideas.
The 20 year old – who had previously never scored at senior level for club or country – collected a 76th minute pass from goalkeeper Alexander Walke, skipped past two defenders and hammered the ball 71 yards into the back of Schalke’s goal. Quite a crack.
And how did Schalke goalkeeper Timo Hildebrand feel about the feat?
It was a “stupid goal,” the 34 year said.
- Watch Live: Liverpool vs. West Ham United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Watch Live: Manchester United vs. Leicester City (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Premier League transfer needs: What’s been done and what’s left to do by Monday? 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 23 0
- Geoff Cameron predicts Super Bowl XLIX win for his New England Patriots 1
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester City, Arsenal, Saints to win 0