Jul 14, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
We’ve all seen it before, the goal from distance that catches a keeper off his line.
Most of the time, however, such audacious attempts are the result of a lofty chip from somewhere in or around half-field. But when Red Bull Salzburg met Schalke this past week, Red Bull center-back Martin Hinteregger had other ideas.
The 20 year old – who had previously never scored at senior level for club or country – collected a 76th minute pass from goalkeeper Alexander Walke, skipped past two defenders and hammered the ball 71 yards into the back of Schalke’s goal. Quite a crack.
And how did Schalke goalkeeper Timo Hildebrand feel about the feat?
It was a “stupid goal,” the 34 year said.
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0
- Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer (video) 1
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 5
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages (video) 9
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0