Jul 15, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Adam Moffat has absolutely reached “Which One?” status with his long-range dandies.
That is, when we talk about “that long-range Adam Moffat beauty,” we have to then say, “Which one?”
Moffat’s latest was actually just the first of two hits Saturday for the Dynamo midfielder. Remember, by the way, he is a holding midfielder. Ricardo Clark plays higher in the Dynamo’s 4-4-2 midfield arrangement, which means Moffat has primarily defensive duties.
Hence, his shots tend to come from 18- to 30-yard range, while Clark makes more of the late runs into opposition penalty area.
But never mind all that. Just enjoy his best hits from beyond the 18 – some of them quite a bit extended beyond the penalty area. Up first is his latest, which we called the best goal of MLS Round 20 in our Week in Review.
Note on the replay how close the ball actually come to striking New England goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth, a capable netminder who is having a great season for the Revs. In other words, the ball arrived with such velocity that, even from almost 30 yards, Shuttleworth has precious little time to react.
Houston was still playing at Robertson Stadium on the University of Houston campus when Moffat walloped one against Portland from 35 yards plus. (That is hardly an exaggeration, by the way; count the yardage yourself using the football lines and you’ll see. )
The Scotsman was at the same 36- to 38-yard range when he struck the first goal in a 2011 win in Houston over the Galaxy. Unlike the others, this one was on a rolling ball rather than a big, spanking volley. So, clearly, he’s no one-trick pony on these things.
(Go to the 1:15 mark on the highlight pack to see Moffat’s goal.)
- Krieger credits Ellis, communication for United States’ defensive success 2
- Chile 0-0 (4-1 PKs) Argentina: Chile’s first Copa America title in 99-year history (video) 2
- Lloyd, Brian prove crucial to United States’ turnaround at Women’s World Cup 2
- Report: Robin van Persie agrees to personal terms with Fenerbahce 4
- Copa America Final preview: Argentina looks for first title since 1993 against hosts Chile 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: KPB to Orlando City, Liverpool in for Brazilian teen 4