Jul 15, 2013, 1:31 PM EST
Crystal Palace may have a new midfielder in the mix.
The South London club has agreed to a $2.6 million (£1.75m) fee to bring Sevilla midfielder Jose Campana to Selhurst Park.
Sevilla president Jose Maria del Nido issued the following statement concerning the sale:
We made Campana an offer to renew his contract which he didn’t accept, he wanted to leave and we accepted that his agent put him on the market and an agreement has been reached with Crystal Palace for two million euros, plus add ons and a percentage of a future transfer
Campana is expected to pen personal terms today and will undergo a medical upon his arrival in London tomorrow morning.
Campana represents a major coup for Palace. The U-20 Spain international was a member of the squad that reached the quarter-finals in this summer’s World Cup in Turkey.
At club level, Campana broke into the Andalusian squad in August 2011 before making 18 first-team appearances in 2012-13 before an injury to his left foot required surgery and ended his season. The significant of Campana’s departure was not lost on Del Nido.
“Campana was going to be a star and unfortunately it hasn’t worked out here,” Del Nido said. “We’ve done everything possible to make it happen. We want Campana to do well at Crystal Palace because he’s one of our products. Hopefully he succeeds in England.”
Campana is the 10th player Sevilla have agreed to sell during this summer’s transfer market and the fourth who will be joining a Premier League club following Antonio Luna’s move to Aston Villa, Luis Alberto’s move to Liverpool and Jesus Navas’ move to Manchester City.
- Premier League transfer needs: What’s been done and what’s left to do by Monday? 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 23 0
- Geoff Cameron predicts Super Bowl XLIX win for his New England Patriots 1
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Manchester City, Arsenal, Saints to win 0
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Manchester City 0
- Ban upheld: Diego Costa to miss Saturday’s visit from Manchester City, 2 more 3