Jul 15, 2013, 6:50 PM EST
New Atlético striker David Villa was unveiled in Madrid today, the former Valencia and Barcelona striker taking Radamel Falcão’s nine shirt at the Vicente Calderon. By moving to the capital, the 31-year-old gets Champions League soccer (Atléti finished third in Spain last year), stays near the top of the La Liga pecking order, and stays on the same side of the Barça-Real divide while getting the playing time he sought.
Oh, and he gets to stay in Spain, presumably a huge bonus for a Spaniard who has never played outside his home country. Yet when Villa’s started looking for a new club, he was set to move abroad, ready to take a chance on Premier League soccer.
Speaking at his press conference:
“We had a move to the Premier League in mind but then Atleti appeared and within three days all my personal terms had been agreed.
“From a career point of view, they weren’t lacking anything. They finished third and will play in the Champions League. They beat Real Madrid to win the Copa del Rey. Starting from today, the best club in the world for me is Atletico Madrid.”
Interesting that we have another instance of the Premier League dragging its feet, losing a player. That’s what seems to have happened with Thiago Alcantara, Manchester United extending their conversations with Barcelona long enough for Pep Guardiola and Bayern Munich to swoop. Arsenal continues to delay things with Gonzalo Higuaín, and now Villa concedes the links to places like Tottenham Hotspur may have come to fruition had they been wrapped up three days ago.
As Villa’s comment hint, there is an undeniable draw to the Premier League. But that’s not enough to make up for a lack of urgency.
- David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami 0
- DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution 0
- Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS 2
- How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash? 2
- Chelsea’s Diego Costa to contest FA charge of violent conduct 1
- Freddy Adu heading back to MLS? Reports claim two teams interested 12