Jul 15, 2013, 9:53 AM EDT
With yesterday’s news that Thiago Alcantara has signed for Bayern Munich, Manchester United has begun to re-launch its campaign to find a new central midfielder for the 2013-14 season.
According to Sky Sports, the Red Devils are preparing to launch a bid to bring Cesc Fabregas back to England. News of United’s interest in Fabregas emerged before the 2012-13 Premier League season even ended, with Barcelona reportedly looking for a $31 million (£20m) transfer fee for the Spain international.
In response to the rumor, Fabregas repeatedly claimed to be happy at Barcelona and noted his desire to stay at his hometown club. No official comment was made by Barcelona.
But now reports claim that United’s current bid will be in the range of $53 million (£35m), a $22 million (£15m) dollar increase of the initial fee Barcelona reportedly sought. That’s the kind of money that just might catch Barcelona’s attention, especially considering the $44 million (£29m) transfer fee the Blaugrana paid Arsenal to acquire Fabregas in August 2011.
If United’s proposed bid sounds a bit high, it could be as outlets outside of Sky Sports are reporting the bid could be more in the range of $39 million (£26m). Nevertheless, the Red Devils seem to be done ‘playing around’ in the transfer market. Having already lost Alcantara to Munich, United manager David Moyes just happened to mention his ebullience at working at a club that is minted:
Isn’t it great that the club says, ‘There’s no budget here, you go get who you want to get, just go and do it’. We are looking at the best players. I do think it’s important that we show people we are carrying on the traditions and trying to take the club forward.
- On Jurgen Klinsmann and Michael Bradley and “playing out of position” 1
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 1
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 8
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 3
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 2
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2