Jul 15, 2013, 9:53 AM EST
With yesterday’s news that Thiago Alcantara has signed for Bayern Munich, Manchester United has begun to re-launch its campaign to find a new central midfielder for the 2013-14 season.
According to Sky Sports, the Red Devils are preparing to launch a bid to bring Cesc Fabregas back to England. News of United’s interest in Fabregas emerged before the 2012-13 Premier League season even ended, with Barcelona reportedly looking for a $31 million (£20m) transfer fee for the Spain international.
In response to the rumor, Fabregas repeatedly claimed to be happy at Barcelona and noted his desire to stay at his hometown club. No official comment was made by Barcelona.
But now reports claim that United’s current bid will be in the range of $53 million (£35m), a $22 million (£15m) dollar increase of the initial fee Barcelona reportedly sought. That’s the kind of money that just might catch Barcelona’s attention, especially considering the $44 million (£29m) transfer fee the Blaugrana paid Arsenal to acquire Fabregas in August 2011.
If United’s proposed bid sounds a bit high, it could be as outlets outside of Sky Sports are reporting the bid could be more in the range of $39 million (£26m). Nevertheless, the Red Devils seem to be done ‘playing around’ in the transfer market. Having already lost Alcantara to Munich, United manager David Moyes just happened to mention his ebullience at working at a club that is minted:
Isn’t it great that the club says, ‘There’s no budget here, you go get who you want to get, just go and do it’. We are looking at the best players. I do think it’s important that we show people we are carrying on the traditions and trying to take the club forward.
- U.S. Soccer names All-Time Best XI, do you agree? 6
- Luis Suarez signs new long-term deal at Liverpool 3
- Clint Dempsey undergoes medical at Fulham ahead of loan move from Seattle Sounders 3
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) 11
- Manchester derby in cards for League Cup final 1
- Brendan Rodgers cool on re-signing Luis Suarez to a new deal 2
- Report: Clint Dempsey will join Fulham on Jan. 1 for two-month loan (12)
- Is Google a player in the game of sports media rights? (12)
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) (11)
- Spurs in hunt for new boss after sacking Andre Villas-Boas (10)
- Mexico’s Monterrey dumped out of FIFA Club World Cup (7)
- Nightmare for Socceroos in Real Group of Death
- Hodgson's Manaus Plan is Flawed
- Wilmer Cabrera on WC Draw: ''It's an Even Group''
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Klinsmann Shouldn't Have Been Re-signed Before WC