Jul 15, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
We will see few stories this year in domestic soccer as satisfying as this one:
Almost four months after being diagnosed with a rare, but treatable, form of leukemia, New England Revolution defender Kevin Alston has been removed from the disabled list and will travel for the Revs’ match this week.
The Revolution’s outside back was removed from his team’s active list back in April to undergo treatment for chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML). Alston had returned recently to practice and could return to the field as soon as Wednesday when the team travels to Denver to face the Colorado Rapids.
The club said Alston, 25, will be among the 18-man travel squad.
Said Revolution general manager Michael Burns in a release issued by the club this morning: “We’re very pleased for Kevin that his treatment has progressed and he’s returned to the field. From the outset, Kevin was committed to getting back and has maintained an incredibly positive attitude.”
Alston was an immediate starter soon after New England drafted him 10th overall out of Indiana in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft. A year later he was in the 2010 MLS All-Star Game.
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 3
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs
- The FIFA World Cup Trophy for the First Time in Sarajevo
- Despite Early Deficit, Revs Could've Climbed Back vs. Dynamo
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1
- Jens Lehmann Downplays Guardiola's Bayern Munich