Jul 15, 2013, 2:40 PM EST
The Premier League has not seen the end of Steven Harper as the 38 year old has penned a one year deal with newly promoted Hull City.
“We just thought we needed a bit of experience,” said Hull manager Steve Bruce.
Harper brought his 20 year career at Newcastle United to an end this summer after an up and down career where he typically played second fiddle to Shay Given.
Now, he’ll be suiting up with the Tigers to provide veteran experience and competition for 31 year old Allan McGregor, who signed with Hull after a season with Besiktas.
McGregor, who spent 11 years at Glasgow Rangers before his stint in Turkey, is expected to be the starter.
“We got in Allan McGregor and now we’ve brought in Steve, who has been around the Premier League for 20 years,” Bruce continued. “He’ll be good in the dressing room and good for the younger players we have got in the squad. With his experience, he will certainly help me to try to achieve what we want to achieve.”
But sharps would be smart not to count Harper out from winning the starting role.
A late season injury to Magpies goalkeeper Tim Krul opened the door for Harper and the 38 year old took full advantage, producing a fine display against Arsenal in the Gunners 1-0 victory. If he can reproduce that kind of form in pre-season, Bruce may have a tough decision to make come August 17th.
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 3
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 2
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 3
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 2
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint