Jul 15, 2013, 2:40 PM EST
The Premier League has not seen the end of Steven Harper as the 38 year old has penned a one year deal with newly promoted Hull City.
“We just thought we needed a bit of experience,” said Hull manager Steve Bruce.
Harper brought his 20 year career at Newcastle United to an end this summer after an up and down career where he typically played second fiddle to Shay Given.
Now, he’ll be suiting up with the Tigers to provide veteran experience and competition for 31 year old Allan McGregor, who signed with Hull after a season with Besiktas.
McGregor, who spent 11 years at Glasgow Rangers before his stint in Turkey, is expected to be the starter.
“We got in Allan McGregor and now we’ve brought in Steve, who has been around the Premier League for 20 years,” Bruce continued. “He’ll be good in the dressing room and good for the younger players we have got in the squad. With his experience, he will certainly help me to try to achieve what we want to achieve.”
But sharps would be smart not to count Harper out from winning the starting role.
A late season injury to Magpies goalkeeper Tim Krul opened the door for Harper and the 38 year old took full advantage, producing a fine display against Arsenal in the Gunners 1-0 victory. If he can reproduce that kind of form in pre-season, Bruce may have a tough decision to make come August 17th.
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 2
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 3
- Eddie Johnson got paid: New D.C. United forward signs Designated Player deal 2
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season