Jul 15, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT
The Premier League has not seen the end of Steven Harper as the 38 year old has penned a one year deal with newly promoted Hull City.
“We just thought we needed a bit of experience,” said Hull manager Steve Bruce.
Harper brought his 20 year career at Newcastle United to an end this summer after an up and down career where he typically played second fiddle to Shay Given.
Now, he’ll be suiting up with the Tigers to provide veteran experience and competition for 31 year old Allan McGregor, who signed with Hull after a season with Besiktas.
McGregor, who spent 11 years at Glasgow Rangers before his stint in Turkey, is expected to be the starter.
“We got in Allan McGregor and now we’ve brought in Steve, who has been around the Premier League for 20 years,” Bruce continued. “He’ll be good in the dressing room and good for the younger players we have got in the squad. With his experience, he will certainly help me to try to achieve what we want to achieve.”
But sharps would be smart not to count Harper out from winning the starting role.
A late season injury to Magpies goalkeeper Tim Krul opened the door for Harper and the 38 year old took full advantage, producing a fine display against Arsenal in the Gunners 1-0 victory. If he can reproduce that kind of form in pre-season, Bruce may have a tough decision to make come August 17th.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes