Jul 15, 2013, 9:56 PM EST
For one day in South Africa, fears the Jesus Navas purchase would cost Samir Nasri playing time seemed ill-placed, with the French international starting up top with Edin Dzeko as Manchester City lost Manuel Pellegrini’s Sunday debut, 2-0 to Supersport United. Of course, Nasri is not a forward and is not going to be a forward, but with only Sergio Agüero joining Dzeko among Pellegrini’s current striking options, Nasri was pressed into action for City’s match in Pretoria.
It’s a situation that should be rectified very soon, with the problem so pressing that Pellegrini’s willing to speak publicly about City’s obvious needs:
“It’s difficult to say a date, but before July finishes I think we will have more players,” he said after the loss . “We are not in a hurry to bring them in now but we are clear that we need two or three more players. I said before we came to South Africa that we needed to play for each position and I’m sure that we will have it.”
In terms of actual targets, that means the Álvaro Negredo connection may still be alive and well, but as The Guardian reported today, that also means a player like Fiorentina’s Stevan Jovetic (pictured) could also make his way to Eastlands. And just like Negredo, the 23-year-old Montenegrin possesses a unique profile which means he’ll be able to mesh well with both of Manchester City’s incumbent forwards.
Jovetic has the ability to be effective across the with of the defense, one who can thrive underneath Agüero, Dzeko or Negredo, serving as a playmaking presence the likes of David Silva, Navas, Fernandinho and Yaya Touré can play to while Jovetic’s partner plays closer to goal. Because he can be effective cutting in from wide, he’s not somebody who will clash when Agüero or Negredo wants to drop, and with his skill on the counter, Jovetic will allow Pellegrini to play an opportunistic style he at times prefers in big games.
With that kind of profile, it’s no wonder prices around Jovetic were around $45 million in late spring, when he was linked with Arsenal. Since then, the summer’s proved to be more of a seller’s market than originally anticipated. If Fiorentina ever wants to maximize their return on Jovetic, there’s no better time than now, particularly after Mario Gomez’s arrival.
For City, those type of prices are unlikely to dissuade them. Instead, the priority will be getting their new boss the pieces he’s requested. If the Citizens end the summer with Agüero, Dzeko, Jovetic, and Negredo, Pellegrini can have no complaints.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Where to watch all the action ahead in a blockbuster weekend of PL match ups:
Dec 13, 2013, 12:01 PM EST
History says there are goals a-comin’ in Saturday’s match-up at St. James Park
Dec 13, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
“Average” play of midfielder more troubling during subpar start for Red Devils.
Dec 13, 2013, 11:08 AM EST
Sure there’s science behind the Brazuca, but what good is that without video of the ball shattering dinner plates and other housewares?
Dec 13, 2013, 10:35 AM EST
David Moyes reveals RVP will face yet another spell on the sidelines after aggravating a thigh injury:
Dec 13, 2013, 9:22 AM EST
Gunners aim to go eight-points clear by winning at the Etihad, Wenger plays it cool:
Dec 13, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
NBC News’ Ben Popken gets the lowdown on the new World Cup ball. Good news… a Jabulani, it is not:
Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Unless a player lifts his shirt over his head, you may never see Intel’s contribution to Barcelona’s uniforms.
Where They Stand: Europa League’s 32 knockout round teams (and their potential effect on UEFA’s coefficients)
Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Italy and Ukraine could see big boosts to their coefficients, with each federation placing four teams in Europa’s knockout rounds.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
How close is PRP to blood doping? Close enough to get the Premier League’s attention.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
D.C. United upgraded half their defense on Thursday. But what are they getting for the money?
Dec 12, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
We saw this coming. Portland traded up on Thursday to snare the former Zip.
Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018
Dec 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Klinsmann’s signed up for another cycle, the U.S. hoping to extend its evolution beyond Brazil.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
This marks the first time a Bundesliga club has played in the league’s summer showcase.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Two big questions this weekend: 1) Can Spurs stop Luis Suarez? and
2) Does City’s midfield rival that of Arsenal?
Dec 12, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Young says, but “for me, the referees have made decisions and that’s it.”
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 16 0
- Manchester United’s Robin van Persie faces lengthy spell out 0
- Behind the Brazuca: NBC’s extensive research hints less “knuckle-ball” in Brazil, NASA agrees 2
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 3
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 3
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 5
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (16)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park