Jul 16, 2013, 7:32 AM EST
AS Roma’s manager Rudi Garcia has pleaded with the board to keep hold of Daniele De Rossi as Chelsea line up a $18 million move for the Italian international. The 29-year-old midfielder has been a long-term target for several EPL clubs and it seems as though José Mourinho has jumped ahead in the race for the destructive midfielder. Roma are desperate to keep the fans favorite but De Rossi may want a fresh challenge in England to help secure his place in the Italian squad at next summer’s World Cup. De Rossi can sit in and protect the back four, which would allow the likes of Eden Hazard, Juan Mata, Oscar, Ramires and Frank Lampard to pour forward in attack. Could be a key cog in Mourinho’s new look Chelsea machine.
The Luis Suarez saga is moving along nicely, as Liverpool are bracing themselves for an official bid of $45 million plus Gonzalo Higuain from Real Madrid. But the Reds look set to turn that down and want $60 million cash rather than a deal involving Higuain. But I just think that $45 million plus one of Europe purest goalscorers is too good an offer to turn down. Higuain doesn’t have explosive pace but Liverpool don’t play that way and he would fit in with their philosophy extremely well. Brendan Rodgers’ side get the ball wide early and produce plenty of goalscoring opportunities. So Higuain would no doubt score 15 plus. Easy. Time to get rid of Suarez and bag an international striker plus plenty of cash.
Manchester City are on the verge of signing Fiorentina attacker Stevan Jovetic for $42 million. Apparently the Montenegro international, 23, will put pen to paper shortly on a five-year deal. So how will he fit into Manuel Pellegrini’s plans? Jovetic is an attacking midfielder that can also play up front and with Pellegrini looking to bring exciting and attacking soccer to City, this man will be a huge part of that. Fluid passing and a great engine will see him spearhead City’s new attacking impetus.
EPL new boys Hull City are set to make a move for out of favor Sunderland forward Danny Graham. The 27-year-old striker only moved to Sunderland in January from Swansea, but after failing to score in 11 appearances it seems as though Graham will leave the Stadium of Light this summer. Steve Bruce has told the UK media that Graham is a player he’s interested in, as the Tigers look to make more signings to boost their squad ahead of the EPL campaign. Sometimes it just doesn’t work out at a club and Graham has had a dismal time at the Black Cats and probably regrets leaving Swansea City. This fresh chance at Hull could rejuvenate him, as there’s no doubt he possesses the knack to score goals at any level.
Finally, Everton are closing in on Granada’s left back Guilherme Siqueira. So does this mean Leighton Baines is heading to Manchester United? Maybe. The 27-year-old defender has been lined up for a $6.5 million move to Goodison Park, as Roberto Martinez tries to plan for life without Baines. So the La Liga invasion at Everton looks set to continue and maybe Martinez has found another gem for a relatively small price. Siqueira has spent his whole career in Italy and Spain but has interested the likes of Galatasaray, Swansea and Stoke City in the past. A quality addition at left back will be needed if Baines does move on, so the experienced Siqueira seems like a good move.
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 0
- MLS Cup 2000 flashback: Molnar, Meola the heroes for Kansas City – video 0
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 17
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (17)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (17)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)