Jul 17, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
This tweet from Herculez Gomez doesn’t need someone possessing the detective nous of Sherlock Holmes to work it out.
The USMNT striker is heading home.
After playing in two of the U.S. national teams three Gold Cup group games, it seems as though Herc is making way for some of Jurgen Klinsmann’s additions.
Gomez had this to say: “8 straight… add that to the list. I know the boys will handle business. Miss you guys already.”
With the Club Tijuana forward heading back to link up with club side before their Liga MX open against Atlas on Friday, who will replace him in Klinsmann’s roster?
There are plenty of attacking options Klinsi has to call on from Major League Soccer as the knockout stages of the Gold Cup begin. Gomez’ replacement should come from the original 35-man roster announced way back when.
Klinsmann has already stated there will be a few new faces for the USA in the upcoming games. I think we can bet on a few USMNT regulars getting the call up. In attack Graham Zusi could replace Gomez and other options that Klinsmann could bring in Houston Dynamo man Brad Davis to join his teammates Will Bruin. Those are the most likely replacements for Gomez. But what about Eddie Johnson?
Defensively, expect to see Sporting KC’s Matt Besler pop up and maybe Omar Gonzalez? That would be my guess.
So will Klinsi gain much from calling these guys up, even though they’ve been away from the squad for the entire Gold Cup campaign so far? Um, yes.
Not only will these players who’ve elevated themselves to starters with the national team provide more quality and make the USA stronger, they also show these World Cup hopefuls that it can be done. 12 months ago guys like Zusi, Besler and Gonzalez weren’t close to being regulars for the U.S. But now their ticket to Brazil is snugly tucked into their back pocket.
Added quality and extra motivation for the wannabes, adding players to replace the likes of Gomez was a no-brainer from Klinsmann. And we will find out who the US has added to their squad by the end of day on Wednesday.
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 0
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)