Jul 17, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
The Seattle Sounders won’t miss important midfielder Osvaldo Alonso this week after all. Major League Soccer has rescinded the red card issued last week to Alonso – about as critical a cog in the Sounders’ machine as their can possibly be.
An independent review panel decided his actions last week against San Jose were insufficiently violent to warrant a red card and the subsequent suspension.
Ordinarily, league-level back-tracking a red card would be a fairly rare but fairly mostly unremarkable event. But this one comes just weeks after Sounders striker Obafemi Martins had the same thing happen.
The lifting of the suspension to Martins looks like a pretty good choice. As for Alonso (pictured, in the center), it’s just not quite as clear, which makes this one worth talking about.
Here’s the dealio: the squeaky wheel principal does happen in Major League Soccer. That is, men in high places who have big influence over what’s what, will have their words heard, and they can certainly exert a degree of high-level influence.
Did it happen in this case? I absolutely, positively cannot say. I have zero idea.
But you know what they say: One might be a complete fluke. Two is starting to look like a trend. But three … that definitely looks like a problem.
Just saying, this is worth keeping a watch over.
Seattle meets Colorado at home this week.
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 0
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 4
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear