New USL Pro team dubbed Sacramento Republic FC

Jul 18, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT

sacramento republic fc

At a friendly between the English Premier League’s Norwich City and Mexican second division team Dorados de Sinaloa in Sacramento, Calif., the new USL Pro team in the city announced its name as Sacramento Republic FC.

On Monday, the club announced that Predrag Radosavlijevic — better known as United States national team legend “Preki” — would be the team’s first head coach. The Sacramento Republic begins play in 2014.

The team also posted an explanation for the club name and crest on its website.

On the name:

“A Republic represents people from all walks of life, colors, ethnicities, and creeds coming together as one. Its supreme power rests in its citizens, and as such this club is empowered through you.”

On the bear:

“A symbol of ‘strength and unyielding resistance,’ our bear is inspired by the official state animal and the centerpiece of the flag that is also known as ‘The Bear Flag.’”

And finally, on the motto:

“Those familiar with the rich history of Sacramento know that our city motto isUrbs Indomita. Translation? The Indomitable City – a name associated with Sacramento since its infancy because its citizens would not easily be subdued. They did not surrender to fire, floods or disease. They desired and were destined to thrive, literally moving rivers and raising their city to create a vibrant community. That fighting spirit is no different over 160 years later and lives on with Sacramento Republic FC.”

Noble intentions, but did the club pull it off? Let us know your thoughts.

1. jdfsquared - Jul 19, 2013 at 12:14 AM

I gotta say, I’m diggin’ it. As a New Yorker originally from Sacramento, I think they pulled off a nice crest. Cool colors, not overused, but kinda badass and representative of the region with its scorched, rolling golden fields. And I usually hate those singular team titles (Heat, Fire, Wild), but this one has some gravitas and fits real nicely, playing up Sacto’s identity as a capital city.

2. jdfsquared - Jul 19, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Nice video, too. But after watching it, they gotta come up with a better kit. Looks like they just bought some jerseys at Foot Locker and ironed on the crest.

• wesbadia - Jul 19, 2013 at 8:49 AM

I think that’s exactly what they did.

But, you gotta say, it’s a bit hard to come up with a kit when your team doesn’t even have a name, let alone colors.

3. mvktr2 - Jul 19, 2013 at 5:44 AM

It’s nicely put together, well planned, etc. Which of course is some of the problem. It reeks of non-authenticity.

4. overtherepermanently - Jul 19, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I think they nailed it.

5. sabanissatan - Jul 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Funny, I always thought a republic’s power lied in its representatives

• wesbadia - Jul 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I don’t see how this detracts from the symbolism. Isn’t the team representing the fans on the field? The only way I see them NOT upholding this is by going all Chivas USA and only name players of some specific ethnicity, etc. Can’t see that happening…

6. athimmel - Jul 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Looks a bit too “USSR” for me. First time I saw it, I thought… MIG wing? Then I thought that it might be Cuban. In any case, I think the red star alone is a fail.

• wesbadia - Jul 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM

They are going to be coached by an eastern European. Fitting?

• athimmel - Jul 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Interesting…maybe communist plot to usurp city of Sacramento?

• wesbadia - Jul 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Or, perhaps, Sacramento is already under the sway. It IS the capital of CALIFORNIA…

7. smoothkaos - Jul 19, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I really dig the shield and colors and I’ve always been a fan of stars in team logos, especially for soccer. They stayed true to us being a capital city and stayed true to our state flag. Soccer is huge here and will be well supported. Anybody know who the main sponsor is going to be and when they plan to have the kits created?

8. smoothkaos - Jul 19, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Oh, and LOVE that Preki is the coach. I’m a die hard Sporting KC fan (grew up there) and he was and still is one of SKC’s favorite players.

9. bobsacco - Jul 19, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Great video…though it should have featured a cameo of Nico Coulouras, Sacramento’s first pro soccer player ever drafted. Also, All-Time Roster goalie at Univ. of Maryland (1976). Played just one season in college then was drafted by Tampa Bay in 1st round.

FIRED: Where David Moyes went wrong