Jul 18, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
At a friendly between the English Premier League’s Norwich City and Mexican second division team Dorados de Sinaloa in Sacramento, Calif., the new USL Pro team in the city announced its name as Sacramento Republic FC.
On Monday, the club announced that Predrag Radosavlijevic — better known as United States national team legend “Preki” — would be the team’s first head coach. The Sacramento Republic begins play in 2014.
The team also posted an explanation for the club name and crest on its website.
On the name:
“A Republic represents people from all walks of life, colors, ethnicities, and creeds coming together as one. Its supreme power rests in its citizens, and as such this club is empowered through you.”
On the bear:
“A symbol of ‘strength and unyielding resistance,’ our bear is inspired by the official state animal and the centerpiece of the flag that is also known as ‘The Bear Flag.’”
And finally, on the motto:
“Those familiar with the rich history of Sacramento know that our city motto isUrbs Indomita. Translation? The Indomitable City – a name associated with Sacramento since its infancy because its citizens would not easily be subdued. They did not surrender to fire, floods or disease. They desired and were destined to thrive, literally moving rivers and raising their city to create a vibrant community. That fighting spirit is no different over 160 years later and lives on with Sacramento Republic FC.”
Noble intentions, but did the club pull it off? Let us know your thoughts.
- The Western Conference will continue to dominate MLS, and we all know it 0
- Wednesday’s Premier League Preview: Seven games in action-packed matchday 0
- WATCH: Incredible 60-yard pass leads Montreal ouster of Pachuca in CONCACAF Champions League 3
- Tuesday’s Premier League roundup: Saints, Villa win; Hull, Sunderland draw (video) 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: Toronto FC 0
- Aston Villa 2-1 West Bromwich Albion: Late drama hands Sherwood first win (video) 0