Jul 18, 2013, 9:19 AM EST
Whew, this Wayne Rooney transfer saga has entered a state of total and utter ridiculousness.
By now you know all the pertinent facts of Wazza’s situation:
- Benched by Sir Alex Ferguson in the quarter-finals of the Champions League against Madrid and other key matches including the final match of the 2012-13 Premier League season;
- Verbally requests a transfer from Fergie;
- Linked with a number of big clubs across the globe from PSG to Barcelona to Chelsea;
- Heads to Asia with United in the best shape he’s been in “for the last five years” only to discover he has a hamstring injury and is immediately sent home;
- Learns from manager David Moyes that he is surplus goods to Robin van Persie;
- Becomes reportedly “angry and confused” at Moyes’ soundbite;
- Is the subject of a $30 million (£20m) bid by Chelsea with manager Jose Mourinho claiming Rooney is his only target
- Is further linked with Arsenal after Wenger notes he can afford Rooney
So what, exactly, does all the aforementioned drama end up doing?
Drives more drama, naturally.
Even when drama isn’t there.
And so now, for every finger that Wayne Rooney lifts until this mind-numbing process finally comes to a close (fingers crossed it will drag out until the final day of the transfer window!) we, the good people in love with this glorious league will have to deal with ridiculous updates.
Like today, Sky Sports is reporting – now, hold onto your hats, people – that Rooney has arrived at Manchester United’s training ground.
Astonishing, isn’t it?
The thought that a player would actually show up to the club that employs him in order to treat a bum hamstring. Truly remarkable stuff!
So stay tuned! Word has it Rooney will be eating tuna fish for lunch.
You can find Mike on Twitter @mprindi
- Premier League Sunday Preview: Saints host Spurs, Swansea take on Everton 0
- Luis Suarez absolutely carrying Liverpool … and where have we seen this before? 3
- Aron Johannsson scores yet again! Can he match Jozy Altidore’s record for U.S. goal scorers abroad? 2
- Premier League Roundup: Liverpool, Man City, Man United and Newcastle keep winning (VIDEO) 0
- Manchester United 3-1 West Ham: Rampant Red Devils ease to three points (video) 0
- Fulham 2-4 Manchester City: Visitors proving they can win on the road (video) 1
- Report: Clint Dempsey will join Fulham on Jan. 1 for two-month loan (12)
- Is Google a player in the game of sports media rights? (12)
- Hamm, Wambach, Morgan lead U.S. Soccer’s all-time women’s best XI (but no Solo, Milbrett) (11)
- Spurs in hunt for new boss after sacking Andre Villas-Boas (10)
- U.S. Soccer names All-Time Best XI, do you agree? (9)
- Bank of Brazil to Release Special World Cup Coins
- Nightmare for Socceroos in Real Group of Death
- Hodgson's Manaus Plan is Flawed
- Wilmer Cabrera on WC Draw: ''It's an Even Group''
- Germany Building Training Facility in Brazil
- Spain Thinking of US Camp Before World Cup
- Don't count out Chile in WC Group B
- Kicking it Off with a Final
- VIDEO: Visa World Cup Promo
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy