Jul 18, 2013, 9:19 AM EDT
Whew, this Wayne Rooney transfer saga has entered a state of total and utter ridiculousness.
By now you know all the pertinent facts of Wazza’s situation:
- Benched by Sir Alex Ferguson in the quarter-finals of the Champions League against Madrid and other key matches including the final match of the 2012-13 Premier League season;
- Verbally requests a transfer from Fergie;
- Linked with a number of big clubs across the globe from PSG to Barcelona to Chelsea;
- Heads to Asia with United in the best shape he’s been in “for the last five years” only to discover he has a hamstring injury and is immediately sent home;
- Learns from manager David Moyes that he is surplus goods to Robin van Persie;
- Becomes reportedly “angry and confused” at Moyes’ soundbite;
- Is the subject of a $30 million (£20m) bid by Chelsea with manager Jose Mourinho claiming Rooney is his only target
- Is further linked with Arsenal after Wenger notes he can afford Rooney
So what, exactly, does all the aforementioned drama end up doing?
Drives more drama, naturally.
Even when drama isn’t there.
And so now, for every finger that Wayne Rooney lifts until this mind-numbing process finally comes to a close (fingers crossed it will drag out until the final day of the transfer window!) we, the good people in love with this glorious league will have to deal with ridiculous updates.
Like today, Sky Sports is reporting – now, hold onto your hats, people – that Rooney has arrived at Manchester United’s training ground.
Astonishing, isn’t it?
The thought that a player would actually show up to the club that employs him in order to treat a bum hamstring. Truly remarkable stuff!
So stay tuned! Word has it Rooney will be eating tuna fish for lunch.
You can find Mike on Twitter @mprindi
- How did David de Gea’s move to Real Madrid collapse? Here’s a few answers 1
- Big Spenders: Which Premier League clubs must go all-in on transfer deadline day? 1
- Done Deals: Recapping Man United (and others’) busy day — De Gea drama; Chicharito out; $56 million for Martial 0
- NO DEAL: David de Gea’s transfer to Real Madrid falls through as Man United paperwork arrives too late 7
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 4
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 2