Jul 18, 2013, 5:34 PM EST
Romania has a history of exporting capable defenders to top European leagues, such as Gabriel Tamaș, Dan Petrescu, Cristian Chivu. The latest name on that list could be current Steaua București man Vlad Chiricheș, who starred again for the Liga I champion in its 3-0 win over Vardar Skopje in the UEFA Champions League second qualifying round on Tuesday.
On the offensive side, he had a couple shots of his own and some sublime passes, picking out teammates for clear chances on goal as he surged forward. (See video highlights of the match on DigiSport’s website.) Chiricheș didn’t have much to do on the defensive end in the dominant victory.
In November, just a couple months into his stint at Steaua, Chiricheș reportedly attracted interest from a number of Western European clubs, including Chelsea, AC Milan and Real Madrid. Take it with a grain of salt — talkSPORT spoke to Ioan Becali, Chiricheș’s agent — but outlets in multiple countries corroborated the story.
The 23-year-old has been on the ascent since he moved to Benfica in 2007 to play for its youth team, returning to Romania to sign with FC Internațional Curtea de Argeș in Liga II, playing for two seasons before the club folded entirely despite being in the top flight, at which point Chiricheș signed with Pandurii Târgu Jiu.
He played there for a season, earning his first international caps, before moving to Steaua. He made a quick impression on his new club, scoring on an overhead kick to defeat Molde FK in the Europa League and extend Steaua’s lead at the top of Group E.
It wasn’t the last impressive goal he would score, as he also blasted home from long range as Steaua beat Ajax in a penalty shootout the Europa League round of 16 four months after his goal against Molde.
Judging by his performance against Vardar this week, Chiricheș is in fine form again on the eve of the Romanian league season. Before long, he could be on the move to a richer club in a more stable league.
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 3
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season