Jul 18, 2013, 5:34 PM EDT
Romania has a history of exporting capable defenders to top European leagues, such as Gabriel Tamaș, Dan Petrescu, Cristian Chivu. The latest name on that list could be current Steaua București man Vlad Chiricheș, who starred again for the Liga I champion in its 3-0 win over Vardar Skopje in the UEFA Champions League second qualifying round on Tuesday.
On the offensive side, he had a couple shots of his own and some sublime passes, picking out teammates for clear chances on goal as he surged forward. (See video highlights of the match on DigiSport’s website.) Chiricheș didn’t have much to do on the defensive end in the dominant victory.
In November, just a couple months into his stint at Steaua, Chiricheș reportedly attracted interest from a number of Western European clubs, including Chelsea, AC Milan and Real Madrid. Take it with a grain of salt — talkSPORT spoke to Ioan Becali, Chiricheș’s agent — but outlets in multiple countries corroborated the story.
The 23-year-old has been on the ascent since he moved to Benfica in 2007 to play for its youth team, returning to Romania to sign with FC Internațional Curtea de Argeș in Liga II, playing for two seasons before the club folded entirely despite being in the top flight, at which point Chiricheș signed with Pandurii Târgu Jiu.
He played there for a season, earning his first international caps, before moving to Steaua. He made a quick impression on his new club, scoring on an overhead kick to defeat Molde FK in the Europa League and extend Steaua’s lead at the top of Group E.
It wasn’t the last impressive goal he would score, as he also blasted home from long range as Steaua beat Ajax in a penalty shootout the Europa League round of 16 four months after his goal against Molde.
Judging by his performance against Vardar this week, Chiricheș is in fine form again on the eve of the Romanian league season. Before long, he could be on the move to a richer club in a more stable league.
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 3
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 1
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 1
- Draxler, Pogba, Januzaj headline 10 deals to monitor as we near Transfer Deadline Day 1
- Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty 1
- Done Deals: De Bruyne joins Manchester City in busy day for Wolfsburg 2