Jul 19, 2013, 8:35 PM EDT
Tony Barrett, a Merseyside reporter for The Times, is reporting via Twitter (@TonyBaretTime) that Napoli are making a move for Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina.
The deal appears to be a loan set-up that still requires the player to come to wage agreement with the Serie A club.
That could prove to be a stumbling point, however, as Napoli previously were in pursuit of Queens Park Rangers keeper, Julio Cesar, but negotiations fell through when wages couldn’t be agreed to.
Reina’s starting role at Liverpool has come under question after the club purchased Belgian international Simon Mignolet earlier this summer. Many figured the two would compete for the starting role but it now appears that Reina is looking to secure a starting role elsewhere.
A loan deal to Napoli makes sense on a few different levels.
First, Reina is too good to sit on the bench. But if Mignolet beats him out that’s exactly what’s going to happen.
Second, it’s a World Cup year and Reina is going to want to be on that Spain roster come next June. Playing for a club of above-average quality in the Serie A would provide him with a fantastic opportunity to prove himself.
Third, a move to Napoli would see him reunite forces with Rafa Benitez. Could be a great confidence boost for a keeper who’s form has suffered a dip over the last year
If the arrangement goes through Liverpool fans will be torn as losing Reina is significant but seeing that talent waste away on the bench could be a tough site to witness.
- VIDEO: Bayern Munich’s Thomas Muller grabs megaphone, leads fans’ celebrations 1
- Bayern Munich 6-1 (7-4, agg.) FC Porto: Bayern obliterate Porto to reach UCL semifinal 1
- Barcelona 2-0 (5-1, agg.) Paris Saint-Germain: Neymar brace eases Barca into Champions League semifinals 0
- FOLLOW LIVE – Champions League: Bayern Munich, PSG aim to overturn 3-1 deficits to Barcelona, FC Porto 0
- Chris Smalling signs new Manchester United contract through 2019 0
- Franz Beckenbauer: Der Kaiser weighs in on Klopp, Dante and Bayern’s CL hopes 0