Jul 19, 2013, 8:35 PM EST
Tony Barrett, a Merseyside reporter for The Times, is reporting via Twitter (@TonyBaretTime) that Napoli are making a move for Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina.
The deal appears to be a loan set-up that still requires the player to come to wage agreement with the Serie A club.
That could prove to be a stumbling point, however, as Napoli previously were in pursuit of Queens Park Rangers keeper, Julio Cesar, but negotiations fell through when wages couldn’t be agreed to.
Reina’s starting role at Liverpool has come under question after the club purchased Belgian international Simon Mignolet earlier this summer. Many figured the two would compete for the starting role but it now appears that Reina is looking to secure a starting role elsewhere.
A loan deal to Napoli makes sense on a few different levels.
First, Reina is too good to sit on the bench. But if Mignolet beats him out that’s exactly what’s going to happen.
Second, it’s a World Cup year and Reina is going to want to be on that Spain roster come next June. Playing for a club of above-average quality in the Serie A would provide him with a fantastic opportunity to prove himself.
Third, a move to Napoli would see him reunite forces with Rafa Benitez. Could be a great confidence boost for a keeper who’s form has suffered a dip over the last year
If the arrangement goes through Liverpool fans will be torn as losing Reina is significant but seeing that talent waste away on the bench could be a tough site to witness.
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 4
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- Everton is Focused on Beating Arsenal
- Moyes and Martinez Back Cleverley
- Luis Suarez Continues to Say the Right Things
- RSL 2014 Season Preview
- Portland Timbers Season Preview
- Toronto FC Season Preview
- Duvall, Oyongo & Stevenson Sign Contracts with NY Red Bulls
- Moyes Writes Open Letter to Man United Fans
- San Jose Earthquakes: Players To Watch In 2014 Season
- A Good Start Would Go A Long Way for the Chicago Fire