Jul 19, 2013, 11:43 AM EST
This afternoon, tickets for Sunday’s Gold Cup quarterfinal double-header in Baltimore are close to selling out.
Quite a remarkable show of support from the people of Maryland.
But don’t expect fans of the U.S. national team to have it all their own way when Sunday rolls around.
Fans of El Salvador, Honduras and Costa Rica are said to be snapping up tickets for the two games as the Central American nations have plenty of supporters in and around the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan area.
So will the American Outlaws and other USMNT supporters groups have their work cut out to make plenty of noise?
You’d think the large majority of the crowd in Baltimore would be supporting Jurgen Klinsmann’s side. But on Tuesday tickets sales were approaching 25,000… now it’s almost sold out. Stunning. Does that mean MLS has a future in Baltimore? That’s an entirely different issue, but with past talks of D.C. United relocating there, maybe….
Anyway, there will be a good indicator as to the level of support for the U.S. after their game at 4pm ET, as you’ll see how many fans stay behind for the Honduras vs. Costa Rica quarterfinal at 7pm ET. But with crowds of just over 25,000 in Hartford and less than that in Utah, has the USA’s attendance levels in the Gold Cup been a disappointment? Consider MLS is still going on, no.
Soccer fans will have made special plans to follow the USA but after the recent World Cup qualifiers, many won’t be traveling too far in order to support Klinsmann’s men in the Gold Cup.
As for Klinsmann, he’s slightly worried that it will be more like an away game at the home of the Baltimore Ravens.
arrived in Baltimore! Beautiful city!! We all hope for a PRO AMERICAN sell-out 1/4 final crowd vs El Salvador !!!—
Jürgen Klinsmann (@J_Klinsmann) July 18, 2013
However pro-American the crowd are during the Gold Cup quarterfinal on Sunday, it’s sure to be an incredible atmosphere. After the USA’s opener in Portland amongst much fanfare, the Gold Cup tournament will come back to life in Baltimore this weekend.
A crowd of over 70,000 will make themselves heard. But have a listen out for which supporters are the loudest, my gut feeling tells me the U.S. fans may have to take a back seat in their own nation.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
Unless a player lifts his shirt over his head, you may never see Intel’s contribution to Barcelona’s uniforms.
Where They Stand: Europa League’s 32 knockout round teams (and their potential effect on UEFA’s coefficients)
Dec 12, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
Italy and Ukraine could see big boosts to their coefficients, with each federation placing four teams in Europa’s knockout rounds.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
How close is PRP to blood doping? Close enough to get the Premier League’s attention.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
The two-time Defender of the Year rejoins former Crew boss Sigi Schmid in Seattle.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
The Dash join the Portland Thorns as MLS-backed teams in women’s league.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:17 PM EST
Recovery timeline could leave Portland winger passed over by Costa Rica.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Like other notable quality American outfielders (e.g. Clint Dempsey), Cameron is a late-developer who has really evolved.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
D.C. United upgraded half their defense on Thursday. But what are they getting for the money?
Dec 12, 2013, 3:38 PM EST
We saw this coming. Portland traded up on Thursday to snare the former Zip.
Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018
Dec 12, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
Klinsmann’s signed up for another cycle, the U.S. hoping to extend its evolution beyond Brazil.
Dec 12, 2013, 2:01 PM EST
This marks the first time a Bundesliga club has played in the league’s summer showcase.
Dec 12, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Two big questions this weekend: 1) Can Spurs stop Luis Suarez? and
2) Does City’s midfield rival that of Arsenal?
Dec 12, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Young says, but “for me, the referees have made decisions and that’s it.”
Dec 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Would Moyes really loan Zaha to a competitor like Everton or Newcastle?
Dec 12, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
When looking back at the biggest UK Twitter “surges” of 2013 there is one topic that dominates the landscape: footy.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
- What could Chad Marshall bring to the Seattle Sounder defense? We’ll find out in 2014 2
- NWSL: Houston becomes second MLS franchise to place team in women’s professional league 1
- MLS Re-Entry Draft: As predicted, Portland find a way to get Steve Zakuani 4
- Early approval: Klinsmann extends contract, will serve as U.S. head coach, technical director through 2018 3
- MLS announces Bayern Munich as opponent for 2014 All-Star Game in Portland 4
- WATCH: Can Tottenham stop Luis Suarez and can City beat Arsenal? 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- U.S. national team discussion: The Alejandro Bedoya conundrum (14)
- Giovani: "We Were Over Criticized"
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- You Can't Beat German Sachlichkeit
- Aurelien Collin: I Think France is Very Very Happy
- Group B: No Walk In The Park