Jul 20, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
“He is not for sale at any price.”
Those eight words, said by Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas with regard to Gareth Bale, will have Spurs supporters dancing in the street.
It’s not the first time this summer that Spurs have explained their stance on Bale. Both Villas-Boas and chairman Daniel Levy have noted the fact on more than a few ocassions.
But in this whacky world of non-stop transfer speculation, it bears repeating. Calms the nerves.
AVB also diffused another potentially nerve-racking situation for Spurs fans today when he cooled talk over reports that he has emerged as a top contender to replace Tito Vilanova at Barcelona.
“It’s a difficult situation,” Villas-Boas said. “All my wishes are with Tito. If he has to resign over illness, it’s not the time to speak about speculation.”
Ok, so it’s not exactly an express denial of a job at the Camp Nou but the verbal slap on the wrist issued by AVB to whoever asked the question is good enough evidence, for now, that the 35 year old is not entertaining a move to La Liga.
Who will take over as manager for the Catalan giants remains an issue of great intrigue.
Sky Bet currently lists the following five managers as the top favorites to replace Vilanova: former Barcelona player and current Celta de Vigo manager Luis Enrique at 4/5, former Paraguay coach Gerardo Martino at 4/1, former Barcelona player and current Ajax manager Frank de Boer at 6/1, Barcelona assistant manager Rubi at 8/1 and former Barcelona player and current Swansea City manager Michael Laudrup at 10/1.
- Recap: New England Revolution snatch 2-1 lead, two away goals from New York Red Bulls 3
- Video: Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool needs to “become a team” 0
- Crystal Palace 3-1 Liverpool: Bolasie carves up Liverpool defense 2
- Report: Marco Reus is out for rest of 2014 with torn ankle ligament 3
- Premier League Sunday preview: Liverpool, Spurs take to road to face fellow strugglers Palace, Hull 1
- Premier League roundup: Wins for Manchester United, Chelsea, Burnley (video) 0